dcs 5000

billpierce

just got a used dcs5000, when not in the wood it seems to run rough almost like it misfires or is cutting out. does it have a limited coil? and if so is this it. it clears up and cuts fine in the cut, the spark plug looks new and has not yet really got much of a colour to it. my concern is the person i bought it from has twiddled with the H screw.

when you stick a tach on it it'll rev to about 8k before it goes all over the shop. do i need to tach it in the cut?

also it came wit a 18'' bar,i want to drop this to 15. is it necessary to retune when going down in bar size? i never have before and have not a problem, but it just occured to me that a significant reduction in bar size might require a a slight richening?

thanks in advance

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes certainly retune after fitting a shorter bar.

You cant tune a saw in wood as such as blunt chains, leaning weight on the saw, hard or soft wood etc will make a major difference.

Most saws should have a slight stutter out the wood unloaded but if its cleaning up in the wood it doesn't sound far off.

By far in my mind the best way of checking tune is by colour of the plug as you say tho as even tachos can be cheaply/poorly made and react slowly giving you false readings.

When you say slight pop from the exhaust that could be a few things. Running rich can cause it but also a bad/leaking gasket between the cylinder and exhaust or even a pin prick hole in the exhaust allowing air to be drawn in.

I cant comment on the coil tho I would imagine it would be limited as most are nowadays.

hello bill why dont you put the 15''bar on then get the saw tuned by somebody you know and trust can tune a saw properly and you will see when the saw is up to the optimum revs if there are any running problems, the coil could be breaking down

A limited coil will rev to the limited rpm and then it will flash up spurious rpm on the tach and will not rev above the max revs of the coil.

You can ease the revs up bit by bit on the throttle to measure where the coil is limited.

8krpm sounds very low by modern standards - a small 50cc saw should be 13krpm - 14.5krpm.

Often the manufacturers stamp the max revs on the coil body - well Husky do:thumbup: and they are blue in colour

8krpm sounds very low by modern standards - a small 50cc saw should be 13krpm - 14.5krpm.

Often the manufacturers stamp the max revs on the coil body - well Husky do:thumbup: and they are blue in colour

Should be 13,5 on the DSC-5000.

you may know this but was this saw the same as the dolmar PS-510 or the PS-5100s as some of these did have heat distribution problems in the early days :thumbup::thumbup:

Basically the same as the troubled 5100S, but with a 13.5k coil, different crank - and I believe plastic handlebar. Different color as well.

5000, 5100S etc IPL attached.

Dolmar 5100 ipl.pdf

Edited by SawTroll