first boards on the small log mill

Mark.a

I ordered a small log mill and ripping chain from Rob D's site which arrived today.

initially i was planning to use it just to rip up some boards for my woodturning but after seeing the results it looks too good just to cut up for bowl blanks so i think i'll be making some nice garden furniture from the hardwood and maybe a new bigger workshop from the pine and i'll use the offcuts for bowls :biggrin:.

this is a lump of willow its 18" at its widest and i cut it to 4" depth for bowls as you can see from the ripples i need a little more practice :lol:. but i was amazed at the result from my first attempt and that ripping chain went through it like butter.

SAM_4619.jpg

SAM_4626.jpg

SAM_4620.jpg

cheers

Mark

Hi all.

Rob i am trying to keep that like butter feeling and keep the chain as sharp as possible i have one of those sharp boy grinders but to be honest i end up finishing it manually because i don't feel that i get such a good edge with the sharp boy. i think as soon as finances allow i'll be paying another visit to your site for the Granberg precision grinder.

sandspider i already had the saw but the mill and chain and postage to the Scottish highlands only cost £200 which is not a lot of money. if you look at the price of woodturning blanks the mill payed for itself in the first day of milling and i have enough really nice wood to build a pick nick table and other garden furniture.

i wasnt pushing the saw as its only a 029 super but i was milling a 18"x 4"x 6 foot board in under 5 minutes.

iv'e only had the mill just over a week and i already milled over 400fbm.

as well as turning blanks and garden furniture its also going to allow me to build a nice big workshop late next spring .

Geoff the milling does seem to be a bit harder on the saw so running in is a good idea. i usually take it easy and give the saw a few minutes rest between boards i also opened the chain oil screw fully because i felt the chain wasn't getting enough oil but other than that the little 029 seems to be milling away quite happily :biggrin:

cheers

Mark