Come on dealers... let's get real with delivery charges

bobh

Had a husky 350 on the bench today leaking fuel, turned out the tank vent was missing so I went online to order one.

Price of this part was in the region of a tenner and is about the size of the end of my little finger, all good so far, 2 places listed them online and then I checked the postage costs at which point I had a shock.

One place wanted £20 and the other wanted £29+vat just for the postage! Now as I live on a Scottish island I expect to pay a little more for certain items but anything that can go by royal mail is exactly the same price as anywhere else in the country and I'd be quite happy to pay a small amount for this service.

Surely it's about time dealers worked out a better system for parts delivery to what one company refer to as "exotic postcodes," I can you it wasn't very exotic in the rain today. 😁

Modern efficiencies of scale etc. Its something that is a cutthroat market delivering.

Some businesses are precious about their time and make out they walk to the postbox with each package. Also it takes them hours to lovingly slap it in a jiffy and seal it with a loving kiss.

I tend to go elsewhere. As Global says a pallet can get across most of the country for less than £40. And the rates of fuel consumption with trucks @ 9-17mpg its staggering they can do it sometimes, but they can make a profit apparently.

Try getting a price for the JoBeau and palet to the isle of mull mate. I bet it will be more than the southcoast.

That's life I'm afraid.

I read a logical article about using shipping around Britain take traffic off the roads. We are an Island just circumnavigate it. People just won't embrace change. Mull would be a drop off point then.

It would be slower but once the flow was establish goods would flow regularly.

Had a husky 350 on the bench today leaking fuel, turned out the tank vent was missing so I went online to order one.

Price of this part was in the region of a tenner and is about the size of the end of my little finger, all good so far, 2 places listed them online and then I checked the postage costs at which point I had a shock.

One place wanted £20 and the other wanted £29+vat just for the postage! Now as I live on a Scottish island I expect to pay a little more for certain items but anything that can go by royal mail is exactly the same price as anywhere else in the country and I'd be quite happy to pay a small amount for this service.

Surely it's about time dealers worked out a better system for parts delivery to what one company refer to as "exotic postcodes," I can you it wasn't very exotic in the rain today. 😁

HI BOB ive PM you mate thanks jon :thumbup:

Ok - from the other perspective here - did you call the people selling the part to see if they would send it Royal Mail?

Because a website is a complicated animal - it is very tricky to work into a website weight / size / postcode. If you're selling very different sized items it is complex indeed - and so an accurate system will be expensive - this cost will be passed on....

... so many websites especially if selling mainly larger items will just have a large fixed charge for exotic postcodes... but am sure they would (or should) be happy to send by Royal Mail if you asked them by phone or e-mail.

:001_smile: