second-hand ms200t, or new 201t?

SDDavid

I'm studying for my extended diploma and am expanding my existing garden design/maintenance business. At the moment i am doing all my tree work with a combination of my trusty handsaw and an ms261. I really need to get myself a top-handle, but which one? I have yet to use either huskies new 540 xp or Stihl ms201t, so my only direct experience is of the old 200t. I have been very happy with my 261, and was thinking of getting the new Stihl, however, i have heard it's not so hot and that i would be better off with either a second hand Stihl. though they seem over-priced to me, or alternatively the new 540xp. What do you lot think?:confused1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using my 201t for 2 years now without any issues. I've used the 200t's for around 10 years prior to this. You'll probably find it hard to find a goo d 200. The 201's seem to get better after a bit of time.The offical line from Stihl is 15 tanks of fuel before they are run in properly. A friend of mine drilled his exhaust and it died a month later, hence he couldn't claim through warranty.:001_tt2:

All in all I'm happy with my 201.

Hope this helps.

New 201 is supposed to be a different machine ... Are one is pretty rubbish in comparison to a 540 it is gutless but I hear the new version 201 has uprated carb fly wheel and ignition making it a different saw.

200t had its problems that never got solved .... People forget that reminiscing what a great tool they where when available off the shelf.