What about an industry standard?

Daythe trees

I sell logs when I have more than I need, these logs come from my small tree surgery business. I am concerned that the terms we use to sell timber I.e. Load or cube have no technical specification. Hence I initially sold to friends who had bought before and checked they were happy with quantity and quality. My concern is a new customer could easily question my "load" price etc and I would not have a written description to fall back on. what do people feel of perhaps a % mc bracket of 20 to 25 for instance and a weight attached to said mc? I understand this would be bloody difficult and more bureacurcy, but I would be happy if I could give specific values to a product which was an industry agreed specific..... Now under dining table donning helmet and body armour awaiting the onslaught.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sell logs when I have more than I need, these logs come from my small tree surgery business. I am concerned that the terms we use to sell timber I.e. Load or cube have no technical specification. Hence I initially sold to friends who had bought before and checked they were happy with quantity and quality. My concern is a new customer could easily question my "load" price etc and I would not have a written description to fall back on. what do people feel of perhaps a % mc bracket of 20 to 25 for instance and a weight attached to said mc? I understand this would be bloody difficult and more bureacurcy, but I would be happy if I could give specific values to a product which was an industry agreed specific..... Now under dining table donning helmet and body armour awaiting the onslaught.

Can't see how weight attached to mc could work, for example: one month I buy in artic of sycamore @20% mc and the following month I get artic load of oak @20% the weight difference is goin to be quite a lot so if I sell load of sicky to joe blogs he's happy with the 2m3 I deliver but then when I get his repeat order I turn up with say 1.5 of oak I don't think he's goin to be happy in spite of the higher calorific value per log,

Also 1m3 (cube) is a technical term, you just need to specify it's loose:)

There are standards around, the REA have one I think, certainly Hetas do but its not to hot.

As for unit of sale, you must sell by volume not weight, cubic meter bags which when properly full with the sides expanded hold around 1.2cu when filled. You then get a bit of shrinkage in the bag as it dries.

A