JotulF3 CB woodburner issue

medroberts

Hi Everybody,

I purchased a jotul F3 logburner two winters ago, thinking that Jotul were the dogs ******** in burners(cost enough). But this year I noticed that the air/baffle plate had a hole in it :confused1::confused1: As there was a ten year guarantee, I complained to my supplier, in turn spoke to Jotul. The reply came back saying that I had the stove to hot:thumbdown::thumbdown: I complained saying that I used a flue theremomter, dried hardwoods and did not over fire the stove. After much complaining , they agreed on THIS occasion they would supply the part. What angers me is that the log burner has to be removed to gain access to the baffle via the stove top ! When I picked up the part, they let slip that another customer had the same issue. Have any other jotul F3 clean burn owners had this issue ???

When this one goes , I will be tempted to make my own replacement baffle, as the original is paper thin..........

P1010588.JPG.907ab0551591f9f9d1ee79cff5269dee.JPG

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Everybody,

I purchased a jotul F3 logburner two winters ago, thinking that Jotul were the dogs ******** in burners(cost enough). But this year I noticed that the air/baffle plate had a hole in it :confused1::confused1: As there was a ten year guarantee, I complained to my supplier, in turn spoke to Jotul. The reply came back saying that I had the stove to hot:thumbdown::thumbdown: I complained saying that I used a flue theremomter, dried hardwoods and did not over fire the stove. After much complaining , they agreed on THIS occasion they would supply the part. What angers me is that the log burner has to be removed to gain access to the baffle via the stove top ! When I picked up the part, they let slip that another customer had the same issue. Have any other jotul F3 clean burn owners had this issue ???

When this one goes , I will be tempted to make my own replacement baffle, as the original is paper thin..........

HI MATE that baffle plate looks very thin mate the old jotul I've seen were made of good cast metal mate our euro heat is thick cast steel thanks jon

Hi Everybody,

HI MATE just been looking on youtube at assembly of a new JOTUL im sorry to say do not look so well made as they were from years ago mate the metal looks very thin thanks jon :thumbup:

Mendiplogs, Just what I thought. Are they just living on there name :confused1::confused1: Possibly a thicker baffle, could be made out of boiler plate ? to take the heat. Has anybody else got one, with the same issue ? Jotul and distrubuter put all the blame on myself:thumbdown:

How can they sell such a product, with this design issue. Obviously they don't test there products very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mendiplogs, Just what I thought. Are they just living on there name :confused1::confused1: Possibly a thicker baffle, could be made out of boiler plate ? to take the heat. Has anybody else got one, with the same issue ? Jotul and distrubuter put all the blame on myself:thumbdown:

How can they sell such a product, with this design issue. Obviously they don't test there products very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI MATE IM sorry to have to say this yes your going on what just seen on you tube of new JOTUL there metal very very thin mate can i ask you how old is your house and what size room you are trying to heat we have euro it all cast buffle plates thanks jon :thumbup:

I have a Burley stove and the top naffel plate lasted 2 winters . Was 1.0mm steel . They wanted £86 for a new one . I made my own out of 3.0mm stainless . luckily it easy peasy lemon squeezy to fit .

just out of curiosity what does a baffle plate do

and how would you know its burn through

cheers :001_smile:

just out of curiosity what does a baffle plate do

and how would you know its burn through

cheers :001_smile:

A baffle plate is a plate usually made of metal that sits inside the stove over the firebox. This plate blocks off the direct exit to the chimney which means that the hot flue gases have to travel further before they get out of the stove. This means that there is more time for the flue gases to be mixed with air and fully combust in the firebox and that more heat can be transferred from the firebox to the stove and/or water in the boiler.

So a flue baffle makes the stove more efficient and can increase it's heat output.

my baffle plate was made of vermiculite board when that cracked and broke I made 1 out of metal plate

I should also mention, that when I had the stove apart. I also noticed that the back cast plate in the fire box is warped like a banana :thumbdown: and a crack in the middle. I just hope that it is not going to move any more ?

The stove has cast sides all around which I thought would soak up the heat :confused1: Mediplogs, the house is very old (300 yrs) and the room in which it is situated is 20ft x 15ft .Ceiling 8ft. Would a stainless steel plate cope with the heat ouput ?

cheers ,med.