cutting rates per acre

Hi guys

Im working for a land owner being paid £1500 per acre to cut at stump the site is clear fell.

The site is large mixed coppice with large ash maidens.

There are 2 of us there with a tractor and grab but is still slow work.

I think this rate is a bit cheap what could it go up to?

At my estimate there must be at least 150 ton per acre

Thanks

Simple answer is what is your price? Every business/operator is different. Add up your direct/indirect costs, divide it down to get a day rate then add on your margin. As a contractor and as a landowner I'd be wary of a price per acre as not one single acre will ever be the same. Price per ton to an agree roadside location is the common way of doing it, price might be different for the different compartments due to haul distance.

Edited by richy_B

Is it your tractor or the landowners?

Wait until you break something on it- unless it's forestry spec it will happen very soon.

On jobs like this I work on day rate, with written agreements as to who is responsible for what. Otherwise it can quickly turn sour.

Thanks guys was just after a industry rough figure for cutting an acre of large ash coppice, in the south east of England. Its a clear fell, cut at stump site, top to be burnt for a land owner. I am not extracting and its my tractor.

Cheers

hi when you say large ash coppice how big is large ? as coppice to me meens small trees i.e 250-300mm in die,what i would call large ash are trees that are 500mm + dbh the above 2 disscriptions make such a difference to production out puts the small trees i would expect to put 10-15 tonne on the ground a day,the big trees 25-30 tonne. may be if you added more detail to your question we could help you out more.

hi when you say large ash coppice how big is large ? as coppice to me meens small trees i.e 250-300mm in die,what i would call large ash are trees that are 500mm + dbh the above 2 disscriptions make such a difference to production out puts the small trees i would expect to put 10-15 tonne on the ground a day,the big trees 25-30 tonne. may be if you added more detail to your question we could help you out more.

If you can put down 15 ton of 200m di trees handcutting then I will eat my helmet. Most trees that size will weigh less than a 100kg so at best you are gonna be cutting 150 stems per day. All I know is the old saying that if the di of a trees less than the length of your p....

Its not worth cutting.