Jotul 163 Log Stove

oakeydokie

Just had a Jotul 163 5kw log stove installed with glass panels in front door and sides.

First time I lit i closed the air vent as instructed but the glass turned black.

I've now opened the air vent enough to get a flame but worried it might be running too hot.

There's a label in the air vent saying only open fully for five minutes whilst lighting the fire then close it.

Instructions talk about the dangers of over heating.

Currently burning oak split logs well seasoned.

Any constructive advice would be useful.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

You'll always get a bit of soot build up on the glass from time to time, but if it's too tough to get off with scrunched up newspaper, it's probably not running hot enough.

Simple solution though - invest a fiver in a flue thermometer. I have my fire on 6 months a year almost continuously, and I honestly don't know how people efficiently operate stoves without them.

You light the stove, leave all vents open until the temperature reaches the top of the safe range, close it down a bit. If the temperature drops too low (ie out the bottom of the safe range), you have closed the vent too far. You quickly get a feel for it and it becomes a very simple process.

Hi there,

You'll always get a bit of soot build up on the glass from time to time, but if it's too tough to get off with scrunched up newspaper, it's probably not running hot enough.

Simple solution though - invest a fiver in a flue thermometer. I have my fire on 6 months a year almost continuously, and I honestly don't know how people efficiently operate stoves without them.

You light the stove, leave all vents open until the temperature reaches the top of the safe range, close it down a bit. If the temperature drops too low (ie out the bottom of the safe range), you have closed the vent too far. You quickly get a feel for it and it becomes a very simple process.

Thanks for advice I was thinking a thermometer would be handy. Can you suggest a make and model or should I just buy one on line?

Just had a Jotul 163 5kw log stove installed with glass panels in front door and sides.

First time I lit i closed the air vent as instructed but the glass turned black.

I've now opened the air vent enough to get a flame but worried it might be running too hot.

There's a label in the air vent saying only open fully for five minutes whilst lighting the fire then close it.

Instructions talk about the dangers of over heating.

Currently burning oak split logs well seasoned.

Any constructive advice would be useful.

Your dealer should give you full instructions and help with the problem, thats what he is there for. This is in addition to the manufacturers basic instructions. If you have bought it through the web then thats what you get, low prices and nothing else!!.

PM me with your e mail address, I will send you the user guide I write and issue with stoves of this type. You would appear are using the stove incorrectly, I am not a Jotul dealer ( I sell Morso instead) so will need a quick read of their instructions but they all work pretty well the same.

I have a similar stove live in my showroom, the door glass is perfectly clean as yours will be but you will probably get a smoke build up on the side glass after a few hours use. Wipe it off when cold.

A

Usually you want to set the air so you have a rolling flame no need for it to be roaring but don't shut it down to the point you extinguish the flame due to lack of air. Are you sure the logs are dry? oak is very slow drying but lovely when it is.

Thanks. Yes all logs dry stored in commercial glasshouse.

Your dealer should give you full instructions and help with the problem, thats what he is there for. This is in addition to the manufacturers basic instructions. If you have bought it through the web then thats what you get, low prices and nothing else!!.

PM me with your e mail address, I will send you the user guide I write and issue with stoves of this type. You would appear are using the stove incorrectly, I am not a Jotul dealer ( I sell Morso instead) so will need a quick read of their instructions but they all work pretty well the same.

I have a similar stove live in my showroom, the door glass is perfectly clean as yours will be but you will probably get a smoke build up on the side glass after a few hours use. Wipe it off when cold.

A

Yes, bought and installed by long standing local dealer with excellent reputation but they didn't light the fire, they did explain how it works but that was months ago when they measured up only now I'm stretching my head but its a learning curve.

I did buy a radiated fan that sits on top which works a treat.

Yes, bought and installed by long standing local dealer with excellent reputation but they didn't light the fire, they did explain how it works but that was months ago when they measured up only now I'm stretching my head but its a learning curve.

I did buy a radiated fan that sits on top which works a treat.

Thats exactly why I send written instructions as it can be 3 months from first discussion to when a customer is looking to use it in their own home.

If the top lifts off then stove fans are not that good, temps on the sides are typically 450/500F, on top around 200F which is not really hot enough for a fan to work properly. fixed top then it should be fine.

A