What is the best way to process arb arisings!

benedmonds

Our processing of logs seems very inefficient. Two guys can only produce 10- 12 bulk bags in a whole day.

We have a wood pile of arb arisings mostly man movable and most above 9 inch diameter because we chip anything smaller.

Currently it is cut to 8-10 inch rings with chainsaws loaded onto a trailer then split on a 10 ton hydraulic splitter. The sawing is slow and the guys end up blunting chains as the wood is often dirty and they are working on the floor (they are big logs). The splitting is then slow as each log is split one at a time.

I want to speed up the operation and think splitting first into billets then cutting the billets to size might be quicker. Cutting billets to log size would need a different method however, I am thinking a saw bench or perhaps a truncator.

How do folk cut your billets? Can a device like the truncator hold them?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If cost was no problem then .....A large cone splitter on the end of a 360 to split the lengths as they lie there ( rather than ringing them up with a saw on the ground ) then the resulting long billets could be cut to the required length , 10" or whatever on a circular saw bench .

I try to cut all timber on site to 1m and split into billets back at my yard, they stack well, season quickly, and can be cut to what ever length the customer wants. I hire in a log splitter that takes 1m lengths when I have enough to justify the cost. I then cut them on a smart holder with one loading and one cutting. This is just for my own logs, about 15-20 cube a year.

The problem is when dealing with big timber, a 20-30" log at 1m length is heavy to handle and so ringing up is the best option. In which case there is a special splitter called a tempest, designed to beast through big rings and keep a couple of blokes busy filling bags. Tempest Wood Splitter - Premium Wood Splitter

I used to split my arb arising into billets ,stack them on pallets, leave covered foe approx. a year and then saw them into logs with the sawbench.To much handling imo. I now chuck it all into a pile, leave it for a year then ring it all up and split as I need it.

Don't pay skilled blokes lots to do what 16 year old rugby players will do for peanuts.

Use tables/rolling racks/slides to make moving stuff sideways easier and/or gravity assisted.

Jet wash to clean but preferably tip straight onto a clean, high platform (to take advantage of tables/rolling racks/slides).

Or just sell it as is and let somebody else have the hassle.