Clearly a case of "well it aint my tool" syndrome...

wisecobandit

So there I was sat at some traffic lights passing by a fresh building site watching 3 lads with a newish large diesel chipper on the back of a tipper transit (not that old either) trimming back the road hedge with a hedgecutter throwing brambles etc into the chipper.

Next thing ceased to amaze me...

2 of the lads trying to bend a 3-4" tree down whilst the third in only what I can describe attempted to nibble it away near the base in some vain attempt to cut it down with the aforementioned hedgecutter after eventually starting it after about 15 pulls of the starter cord.. :001_rolleyes: Even worse was the fact they clearly had 5-6 to cut down not just the 1.

Now I don't know if it was through sheer lazyness they couldn't walk the length of a chipper to grab a chainsaw or they just didn't have one with them.

Now if I saw anyone mistreat any of my tools like that they would have a size 12 right up there arse and they sure as hell wouldn't have a new chipper and truck to be given to abuse either.

So whats the worst mistreatments have you seen and sucked through your teeth muttering to yourself?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works both ways, an old boss of mine once asked to borrow my socket set whilst I was out on a job. "No problems" I said "its in my car, help yourself"

Got back 6 hours later, no sign of the boss and no sign of my socket set, eventually found it sat in the silage pit, wide open in the pouring rain!

He had to buy his own socket set after that.

Edited by bobh

I happened to be in a friends workshop the other day,and noticed one of his young fellows dragging a 9" angle grinder across the concrete floor by its 3 pin plug,i didnt say anything to him of course,but i did mention it in passing to my friend later.

Grass :001_tt2:

I hire some tools out and it really used to bother me when they came back scratched or a nick out of a trimmer blade or rotavator tines with wire wrapped round them. Then realsied lifes too short to worry about it. What really does get to me though is builders hiring Ts400's and measuring 2 stroke oil out in the fuel filler cap.

I have a chipper which is used infrequently and a mate said; well change your insurance and offer it for rent. He is making sense I know, but my tools get looked after and last as a result. For instance on a wet day the chipper hopper + feed chute and saw bars get dried and oiled before going away. Even the truck gets wax oyled every year. Can't bring myself to do it. If a real mate borrows something they know it comes back as lent or is fixed/replaced and I reciprocate. Hate people abusing other peoples hard earned belongings....don't get me started on stealing!