what would you do? new chassis or new Landy?

Matthew Storrs

I have a 300tdi landrover 'hi cap' which I use exclusively for work. I wouldn't want any other vehicle for my line of work, however inevitably the rust in the chassis is starting to get the better of it. Now its been a cracking very reliable vehicle over the last 6 years used daily off road and pulling heavy 3.5t trailers, but not sure which makes more business/financial sense, spending probably 4-6k+ to have a new galvanised chassis and other bit-clutch/brakes bushes etc overhauled in the process or sell it now and buy another landy which is only a few years old?

I think I'm swaying for the new chassis route given that everything else is replacable anyway whereas a new land is only going to start rusting again as soon as I get it.

Anyone else faced a similar dilemma. I would post this on Landyzone but being a landy enthusiasts site they will no doubt be pro chassis swap whereas this is purely a financial/business desicion for me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless you are chucking a lot of extra bits on as well as the chassis you should come in well under your estimate. I do chassis fitting during the winter months for a local independant landrover workshop, charge them £800 for the labour and they provide all parts, if springs and shockers etc are rough usually easier and cheaper to just replace at time of chassis swap than mess with old ones

It is around 40-50 hours work doing a chassis swap but not technically difficult

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I would say you are likely to end up with a more reliable, longer-lived vehicle if you go down the new chassis route. However, how are you going to get it done (DIY or pay someone), if the latter, do you have someone lined up that you trust? How long will they need it for (and what will you do while they have it)? Assuming you have a good route to doing it, if it suits your current and long-term projected needs, I would keep the known good vehicle over risking a new one.

Alec

New Chassis, defo!

My mate runs a garage and thinks nothing of swapping the chassis, just don't forget you will fit extras like brake lines and bushes so add a bit for them.

I have two friends who have painted the galvanised chassis so they don't look so blinged up, one who took the body off himself with some scaffolding and wheeled out the chassis.

ED

I'd rechassis it too - being a hi-cap it would be a doddle to do.

I went with Marslands for one of mine and everything lined up well, plus it has more of a factory look than the others.

Agree as it's a hi cap would be a lot easier to do, 300tdi as well basic, no electronics go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app