Manure for trees?

Hi, as a purely hypothetical concept (for now), what would be the effect of spreading manure in my woodland?

I know if I spread some on grass it makes it grow more, would it have the same effect on trees?

Has any research been done into this?

I'm not for a second advocating ruining decent woodland running all over it and leaving a foot of s##t behind, but could a sensible amount spread from rides be beneficial to the growth rates of my tree?

Any input appreciated, ste

A forest grows on a fallen forest and prefers a more fungal based soil, not one high in nitrogen unless it's an orchard or a forest of fruit trees. If you want to use it in the forest try making a woody compost by adding wood chip 1 part nitrogen to 10 parts carbon etc

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Woodland trees don't want extra nutrients like grass they want healthy fungi. Interesting some years ago when Gardening Which did a trial of making a peat/fertiliser planting mix to help planting trees and found that it slowed the establishment of the bare rooted trees. So mulch with bark/chippings but no manure would be my advice.

I planted a shelter belt on solid clay. It did ok eventually. Another one near it that had plenty of cow/pig muck ploughed in before planting did significantly better.

Whilst the points raised above are very valid. Humus from manure can only improve soil structure, moisture retention etc.

Some fruit growers and nurseries are said to use millcreek manure spreaders to mulch the rows.

Also in the above shelterbelts my Dad throws all his poultry manure which is high in nitrogen. Will no ill effects as yet.

Woodland trees don't want extra nutrients like grass they want healthy fungi. Interesting some years ago when Gardening Which did a trial of making a peat/fertiliser planting mix to help planting trees and found that it slowed the establishment of the bare rooted trees. So mulch with bark/chippings but no manure would be my advice.

I would agree with this assessment 100%. It is not current industry best practice to add anything to the planting pit it unless there is a specific need for it such as the heavy clay mentioned in the other post. The decomposition of organic matter can use up oxygen to compete with the root system. Also, at some point the trees will have to get used to their new environment. May as well start early. If think you could employ the same logic for putting fym onto a woodland. Its not natural so probably not good for the ecosystem.

Planting a shelter belt on non-woodland soil is like normal gardening. Whilst the fungal based leaf litter of an established wood is fragile and damaged by fertilisers and manure. The massive biodiversity of a wood is totally different from arable/grassland soil. The trees growing need the fungi to gain nutrients. That is why you can't plant an ancient woodland and it takes at least 300 years to get a decent woodland soil going.

I don't spread manure around my trees, but I have several manure heaps which I keep topped-up to attract flies, insects for the benefit of the local birdlife, etc. Ihey are mostly strategically located where trespassers are most likely to enter the site.

Planting a shelter belt on non-woodland soil is like normal gardening. Whilst the fungal based leaf litter of an established wood is fragile and damaged by fertilisers and manure. The massive biodiversity of a wood is totally different from arable/grassland soil. The trees growing need the fungi to gain nutrients. That is why you can't plant an ancient woodland and it takes at least 300 years to get a decent woodland soil going.

Well said woodyguy, you have hit the nail square on the head.