How to remove a fallen tree from a canal?

Simon Rotheram

We have been asked to remove a fallen Oak tree from a canal which is proving difficult to work out a safe method of work.

There is no access from anywhere other than via the canal. The tree is still attached at the bank, part has been cleared by the trust but we have no idea how much is under the water - presumably half?!

We need to remove all the timber and as much as we can find below...any ideas? :confused1:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any scope for a crane, even from a neighbouring piece of land? There are some pretty big tracked cranes available now.

Any scope to float sections to a nearby landing area?

Failing that lots of flat bottomed boats and a lot of patience......

Either way it's gonna be interesting; take loads of piccies..

to elaborate, surely the canal trust can put you in touch with a recovery barge with crane. then pull big lumps out and ferry them away.

if not tow sections back to where they can be accessed from the bank.

its also surprising what a tirfor can drag up a bank with brute force and ignorance...

If floating crane or craft unavailable the only real option is winch across the canal in small manageable sections. The under water bits are a nightmare to deal with. Small boat is a must just to access the bits under the surface. Don't cut at the bank until the end of the job.

Good luck.

I have done a few removals like this, some form of boat is desirable, if the company has a low decked barge you are laughing, if not then a couple of small boats, one for the cutters, one to transport the arisings, depending how far to unload.

A pole saw comes in useful, or if good & still rooted, just get on it, take small pieces, strip the limbs above water.

you could stabilize it with inner tubes, I never have, then once the upright limbs are dealt with start at the top & work down, cut the submerged limbs as you go, leaving strategic ones for support, get a rope on limbs you cut, they might need winching if they are in the canal bed.

Use an old or cheap saw, vegetable oil for chain lube, & a lanyard, treat cuts on tension & compression and potential to roll as a windblow.

I never roped myself in, just in case I took a bath, so be careful of trap potential, hence pole saw to remove trap hazard.

No doubt I will be shot down in flames for a cowboy, so I'm going to get my head down! :biggrin:

Edited by geoff

i was once offered a job clearing trees from bridges and reservoir outlets,considered using compressed air saw and diving gear.but stopped by red tape ..there is no cs unit for using chainsaw underwater,diving ticket yes but diving with a chainsaw no.draw the conclusion that a big crane was the answer.it all depends on depth of canal and how much tree is underwater.bank constriction if you winch large lumps up bank will it damage clay lining etc.good luck . a barge mounted crane seems the way to go .jake:thumbup: