Transit 3.5ton AWD - anyone got / used one?

Andrew Barrett

We'll be needing a new truck soon. Unless I want to run two trucks I need 4WD (current truck is an old - and very reliable - Hilux).

I'm considering either the new Ford Ranger - only pick up I've found with payload high enough to carry a ton with box and tipper and driver (1.3 ton gross payload vs., for example, only 0.82 ton new Hilux single cab). I don't want a Land Rover.

Or, I recently discovered that Ford do an all-wheel drive version of the 3.5ton Transit. But it seems to have some kind of fancy system that senses when 4WD needed and does it automatically. Bit concerned about reliability. Does anyone have one / have any experience of one?

I don't need serious off-road capability, or high ground clearance. Just some of our tip / work sites get a bit muddy in winter.

Dunno about transit but mercedes had some really impressive sprinters in 4x4 and even 6x6 versions at good wood the 6wheel drive tipper was a real beast although I guess the payload is pathetic

Ford did the "County 4x4" Transit. Not many tippers though. I was after the running gear to change mine to 4x4 for a while but lost interest in the project, payload will suffer due to the weight.

There is one on ebay at the moment - Ford Transit County 4x4 4WD 2.5TD, 3 Way Tipper, MOT March 2015, NO VAT | eBay

That's a nice truck

Hodge

Ford did the "County 4x4" Transit. Not many tippers though. I was after the running gear to change mine to 4x4 for a while but lost interest in the project, payload will suffer due to the weight.

There is one on ebay at the moment - Ford Transit County 4x4 4WD 2.5TD, 3 Way Tipper, MOT March 2015, NO VAT | eBay

I've been looking through the brochure for the chassis cab versions and it would appear there is no payload penalty for the AWD system vs. the 3.5 ton Transits with double rear wheels. The AWD versions are only sold with single rear wheels and so the weight change cancels out.

Dunno about transit but mercedes had some really impressive sprinters in 4x4 and even 6x6 versions at good wood the 6wheel drive tipper was a real beast although I guess the payload is pathetic

Thanks. Just been looking at the Mercedes Sprinters and they do a 3.5ton 4x4 chassis cab. Couldn't find exact figures on payload but from the range of figures (if includes 4x4 and not just engine variants) would be about same as Transit AWD chassis cab - which has gross payload (including fuel but no driver) of 1.68 ton.

The Sprinter 4x4 is also a 'proper' 4x4 with low range and slightly higher ground clearance. I like having the low range in the Hilux - been a real life saver on occasion. Bit concerned the Transit AWD doesn't have low range.

From my researches on the Sprinter the only things people seem to complain about are price and rust. Does anyone know of any other problems - or if they have the rust issue sorted? Anyone got one or had one?

If it is the right tool for the job and you intend to keep it long term then I've found it's best not to consider price too much - if you can possibly afford it. I'm very glad I scraped the money together for our new Jensen 530 we bought a year and a half ago - been a great buy for us.

I've been looking through the brochure for the chassis cab versions and it would appear there is no payload penalty for the AWD system vs. the 3.5 ton Transits with double rear wheels. The AWD versions are only sold with single rear wheels and so the weight change cancels out.

Makes sense :thumbup1:

I was working on the basis that adding the extra bits to mine to make it 4x4 would have increased weight by a factor.

A chap I work with has the 4x4 Merc and its a great piece of kit but as you say the new models do seem to suffer from rust.

Makes sense :thumbup1:

I was working on the basis that adding the extra bits to mine to make it 4x4 would have increased weight by a factor.

A chap I work with has the 4x4 Merc and its a great piece of kit but as you say the new models do seem to suffer from rust.

Been doing some more research and found some small print re: Mercedes Sprinter 4x4: "Vehicles with all-wheel drive: payload decreases by c. 130-165kg". I can't find an accurate number to compare to the Transit AWD chassis cab payload in the Mercedes brochures, though.

It is possible to find 2nd hand Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 panel vans. I'm thinking it might be possible to buy one, have the van back taken off and fit an arb box and tipper. Has anyone done this or knows of anyone who has? Or if there is a reason it wouldn't work? Thanks in advance...