HMRC Phishing scam

Gnarlyoak

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that I have recently received a phishing email purporting to be from HMRC telling me that I'm entitled to a tax rebate. (ha, yeah right, if only.... :001_rolleyes:)

Body of the text goes:-

Tax Return Notification

Dear taxpayer,

I am sending this e-mail to announce you: After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined the you are eligible to receive a tax refund of : 247.29 GBP

In order for us to return the excess payment, you need to send a request to HM Revenue & Customs after which the fund will be credited to your specified bank account.

Please click "Get Started" below to claime your refund:

This is a definite scam, the link within the email is flagged up as a phishing site by my AV software (Kapersky). HMRC advise is to report it to them, send them a copy of email then delete it. Details on HMRC website here: HM Revenue & Customs: Recognising and reporting phishing emails

So if you get one.... report it and delete it.

Stay safe.

As you say Rick, definitely a scam. HMRC never use email for this type of correspondence. It will always be snail mail. In fact, in 18 years of being an accountant, they never used email for any correspondence.

Good heads up though.

p.s Got your new 560 yet? I'm thinking along the same lines as you.

I've had one of those too...interestingly though it was just after I had phoned HMRC about a tax query regarding my PPE.

I am very suspicious some at the call centre is selling details to a third party.

Maybe I'm paranoid!!

Yup, that phishing email has been doing the rounds for a few years

As you say Rick, definitely a scam. HMRC never use email for this type of correspondence. It will always be snail mail. In fact, in 18 years of being an accountant, they never used email for any correspondence.

Good heads up though.

p.s Got your new 560 yet? I'm thinking along the same lines as you.

Hey up Greg, long time no see. Hope your keeping well. :thumbup1:

Aye, got the 560 this week. Gotta say mate its luuuuverly. I'm glad I went for this over another Stihl. Well worth a consideration IMHO. :thumbup: