200tdi tuning?

william127

What have other people done to get a bit more grunt out of there 200tdi defenders? I know these engines are what they are, and i am happy with it as it is, but with a 7 ton train weight a bit more wont hurt! I dont mind a bit of extra maintinence or spending strong money as long as i get something for it.

Thanks, william.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List is endless but tweak the pump would be the first step then you can fit a full width intercooler vnt turbo and tweak the pump again to match my 300 just has the pump done pulls really well doesn't cost a penny and pulls well with chip box loaded and 12x6 ifor loaded behind

Have you tweaked the injection pump yet ?

Thats the first thing and makes a fair difference. then a bigger intercooler.

I have the 300tdi and am going to be doing the intercooler and fit a variable rate turbo next.

Edit:beaten to it again

I will be tweaking the pump soon as pos, iam currently thinking of fitting a double cored intercooler, i dont realy fancy a full with intercooler as i have heard they can upset the radiator airflow, especially with the winch , a bar and spots, (again thinking about the train weight).

I currently have a dixcovery engine, all the internals are the same but the turbo is mounted down low, i am thinking of buying a good used defender turbo and manifolds as the air in and exhaust are very consticted at the minute, as well as looking a right state, has anyonee done this?

I have seen the propane kits, think quite a few people have them on road cars, there is a company called tinley tech, i think, that do it.

pull the head and fit 300 tdi head, with turbo ect, get fuel pump from fly by wire disco auto (300 tdi) swop the fly by wire bit for your original set up , larger intercooler a must and silicone pipes and hey presto…. she will eat road, don't put in the disco transfer box if you do a lot of towing…… they are gutless starting off…. you will spend half your time in low box!

Why waste your money? Tweaking the pump simply to pull more load only results in black smoke so adding expensive intercoolers and bigger turbos just seems like a waste of effort too.

I'd hazard that there are very few 200 series LR's under 100k miles now and if you want to keep it reliable just keep it well serviced with nice clean oil and less wear on the clutch/brakes and ultimately the transmission......Sailsbury rear axles need half shafts and the drives replacing around 100k for starters as the splines wear out. More strain on this too so more £'s!

codlasher