chain wear?

log on tommy

This is not intended to be another circular vs chain saw processor comparison that path is well trodden round here

we had a demo last week of the riko wp 36 processor. in general I was very impressed by the machine but the salesman pricked my ears up when he said it would blunt 3 chains per day in clean timber, that these chains must be sharpened on a bench and with an electric sharpener. when you add that to the amount of hydraulic oil it was going to use as chain oil it looks like it could be quite an expensive machine to run not to mention the downtime fitting and sharpening chains.

I know there's a lot of these machines out there I just wondered if this was a realistic projection or if in the field they are more economical than that?

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tommy

No way do you need 3 chains a day on the Farmi unless doing filthy wood. Did a 28 ton load a short while back and changed chains once. Can't say I get through much oil either. Bought a 25 litre drum when I first got our machine and still have only used half of it. Thats probably 200 tons or so of wood through it. I have 3 chains all with very little where.

For sharpening I just use an old spare 18" bar in a vice and loop the chain over it and sharpen by hand. Changing chains is bit of a fiddle but only a 5 min job once you get the hang of it.

To honest I am amazed how little sharpening is needed. If I cut that much wood by hand there would be a hell of lot more sharpening involved. I presume it is the fact that the chain is always very controlled in it's movement with no lateral loads but don't know for sure. Making sure the bar is nice and clean makes a big difference. A quick wipe with some petrol to clear any resin build up is worthwhile.

i have a farmi wp 36(for sale at the moment)and i use multi cut chain on it , goes for days between sharpenings unless you hit metal.mud dont seem to bother it.an it uses about a gallon of oil per 100 tons better than a chainsaw!:thumbup::thumbup:

DSCF0315.jpg.3845c801d20fcd150b75f5340607d2a3.jpg

DSCF0320.jpg.50adf05cc14021ba7f4165680b93059a.jpg

Hi Tommy,

who was it who demonstrated to you?

I typically get a day out of a chain easily before a sharpen. They do not need to be sharpened on a machine, but it does make it easier to get the angles right.

Oil use is approx 1 litre per day I would guess, so really not a big expense.

Hi Tommy,

I would take on board what woodworks and biggarlogs have said. It certainly tallies with my experience. I think what Billy was saying must have got confused with something else, because going through 3 chains a day would certainly not be normal!

Bit naughty of RIKO to put their sticker where it should say Farmi :sneaky2:

To be fair, its a bit naughty for Farmi to put a sticker where it should say Agromaster! We leave the serial plate as it is.

Edited by JimE