Treating carved wood?

PHAS

Hi , most people use decking oil, you can get different shades but all soak in and show the grain , I mostly use natural which has a slight colour.A lot of other oils can turn a carving a dirty colour after time, if you do try decking oil I would coat it every day for three or for days to seal it well before the oil dries, this also slows drying process down.hope it helps.

Hi mike I love liberon decking oil it's very thick unlike some decking oils that are very runny you can just paint it on apply as many coats as you can leaving around 15mins between each coat before it just won't absorb anymore watch out for runs. Dependant upon the timber it may keep absorbing overnight so just keep applying till you build it up.

The grain still shows and your left with a nice glossy like finish that with all the coats has formed a nice flexible protection layer that lasts.

Cheers I'll look in to those,

I've got a slice of cedar butt about 6 feet across and I'm going to try and make a table top. Just a bit worried about it drying and splitting!

It's about 6 inch thick and was cut today, should I leave it a while or carve and smooth straight away?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

carved or any wood, a coat or two of clear wood preserver, not water based, cuprinol or similar, then as many coats of pure tung oil mixed 50/50 with turps as it will take rubbing off excess each time and letting dry, may take a while!! cheers

For your table top paint the whole thing with a thick coat of parafin wax and tignten a ratchet strap around the circumftance then stick it at the back of your shed for 6 months. then when you take it out strip off the wax and start sanding the wax will have soaked in and the grain will show up.