Carbon Stihl Saw

Blaisey

Carbon really doesn't stand up to much abuse, at least according to everything I have read about them on Bike forums.

I'd rather have a heavy durable saw that lasts, without having to constantly replace all sorts of random parts due to failure caused by parts being substandard. Sure, some parts will naturally wear and eventually fail as the saw moves through its product life cycle, replacing those bits is an essential part of how you service and maintain a saw.

When parts fail because they are substandard, it's a design fault, often due to cost cutting or greed as the manufacturer knows that they can charge extra for some bit of flimsy plastic, further down the line.

I want a saw that lasts and doesn't let me down, that's what I expect from a professional tool.

Carbon really doesn't stand up to much abuse, at least according to everything I have read about them on Bike forums.

I'd rather have a heavy durable saw that lasts, without having to constantly replace all sorts of random parts due to failure caused by parts being substandard. Sure, some parts will naturally wear and eventually fail as the saw moves through its product life cycle, replacing those bits is an essential part of how you service and maintain a saw.

When parts fail because they are substandard, it's a design fault, often due to cost cutting or greed as the manufacturer knows that they can charge extra for some bit of flimsy plastic, further down the line.

I want a saw that lasts and doesn't let me down, that's what I expect from a professional tool.

I think it all depends on the type . Ordinary " lay up " is not so good but " pre preg " is stronger . Look at the pile ups in formula one ........

Carbon fibre canoes & kayaks are great for touring on flatwater and sea. Light, rigid for their weight, though pricey. But you don't see ww canoes or people taking them touring where there's going to be rocky shores or long shallow stretches. Why? Well carbon fibre doesn't stand up well to abrasion, being bashed hard by sharp objects, abrased & broken edges are not nice to handle and the nail in the coffin - it can't really be repaired at home or out in the wilds. Yep, you can get small patches but they'll only really repair a short, (a few inches) crack.

Now I'm not saying that a CS in contact with high voltage is a common or good idea. But carbon fibre doesn't conduct electricity and tends to explode if high voltage is passed through it. You might reasonably argue, that if the saw came into such contact, you wouldn't want to be anywhere near it. But would you also want to be worrying about the saw exploding?

Yep. Gimmicks only go so far. Manufacturers prefer the customer buys spares from them or through their dealers. But a portion of their buying markets, will shop elsewhere if their goods cost more to run than their competitors' offerings.

Edited by TGB

Ah a slight flaw in Stihl's march to world domination. While they vaunt their forward-thinking, they've excluded their video from being viewed on an Apple product. So not really interested in the whole pie.

Carbon parts will cost at least 6 times their equivalent in plastic if they are the ultra thin vacuum formed and cured in an autoclave type of material used in F1. They might be a bonus if you are climbing with a monster saw but otherwise are just a gimmick.