Cuckoo

coppiceer

I heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday (26/4 in NW Leics.). Nothing quite like their call to raise my spirits after a long hard Autumn.

Earlier than last year(May 10th.) but possibly not early enough as the Dunnocks have probably nested already. I have been feeding them mealworms all winter to keep a good population going.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been here nearly two weeks. Just in time for the meadow pipit nests. As a kid a cuckoo's egg took pride of place in my egg collection found in a dunnocks nest....not that I'm proud of it now but learnt a lot about birds looking for eggs.

go on BTO site cuckoo tracking fasinating to see were they were caught and still come back to the same place did loose one to a sudanese who shot it for lunch. better not go down that track as chris packham been arested for protesting about jonny foringer shooting birds of prey and song birds.:thumbdown:

Walked along the river here yesterday and saw a bird drop out of a tree, fly across river and over meadows. Thought to myself that looked like a cuckoo, but too early.

One minute later heard it call.......very happy......and early for us.

First time I've ever seen first one of the year before hearing it!

Btw....it was a male.

I heard my first cuckoo of the year yesterday (26/4 in NW Leics.). Nothing quite like their call to raise my spirits after a long hard Autumn.

Earlier than last year(May 10th.) but possibly not early enough as the Dunnocks have probably nested already. I have been feeding them mealworms all winter to keep a good population going.

We have had one here in Shackerstone for over a week now.

go on BTO site cuckoo tracking fasinating to see were they were caught and still come back to the same place did loose one to a sudanese who shot it for lunch. better not go down that track as chris packham been arested for protesting about jonny foringer shooting birds of prey and song birds.:thumbdown:

2 years ago 80+ housemartins left ......

And didn't come back...... Still upset and hoping we'll get some this year