Anyone know of a Guilliet & Fils/ stenner sawmill?

Graham w

i have bought another sawmill but it appears to be made up from the spares bin!

The bench is stenner and the mill was advertised as a 48, however the saw is made by Guilliet & Fils of France that takes a 6inch band and its over twice the build quality of our other stenner 48...

i cant find any info anywhere, is it a one off?

DSC_0343.jpg.d5632f3f5dc7cd3c3592f8ed7b66b34d.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg.ba055fc81033c4fb58d953e081626dfa.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg.05718e2070409d9c5ec643ef20245270.jpg

Hi guys how much would one of those be worth there is one down by me that looks just like it the old boy in the yard died and the local scrap man baught the whole yard all timber he just logged up before I got there but the saw is still there but when I asked about it was told bottom bearing would need doing are the bearings available what should I offer him for it looking forward to your thaughts

Cheers Mark

Graham,

I went to Essex to view a "Stenner" type saw, all dismantled, but apparently all there, with a fresh looking 3PH Motor.

Since I had misgivings about the Vendor, I did not deal.

BUT

How much crown should there be on the band wheels.

I was told these wheels had been recrowned shortly before the saw fell into disuse.

But with a wee 6" steel rule I fished from my pocket, I could discern absolutly no camber across the 4" width.

I know it would be slight, but should surely be discernable to a keen naked eye in good daylight?

Or am I wrang?

cheers

marcus

hi Marcus,

im not the person to ask! mostly all of my milling experience is with yankee mills but someone said its the first inch on the cutting side of the pulley that wears causing the saws problems thats why they have to be re-machined.

They were lovely saws. I hope you get it up and running! There were companies who refaced the wheels on site. Southern Counties Saws may be able to help with information if there are still about. Unfortunately all the important information I had is now lost. We were advised to disregard the tension meter on our old Guilliet and it cut much better......Tighter band.

In all honesty they run so slowly compared to modern machinery, just a good 'set up' will ensure good milling.

codlasher