What's your excuse ?

Deeco

Evening all. Thought I'd throw up a quick post about an absolute legend that I'm proud to call me friend.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396803534.657452.jpg.52d232f2f984f768a71d585ce9ac06d5.jpg

This is liam. (Ignore that topless hunk ;) )

Liam is part of the freestyle gymnastics team that I coach and an astounding little guy !!

As you can see he onlys has one hand which you would think would affect him in a big way but NO! He's one of my best gymnasts and has the best attitude of anyone I know.

A couple of weeks ago I asked him if he fancied a go at tree climbing and of course he was up for it ! I told him I'd set him up a system of some sort that he could climb easier on and his reply was 'no I do not accept that I'll do it like you do'. So I brought my kit home and dug out my old rock climbing harness and helmet and we headed out to find a tree! We decided on a big beach. I threw a rope over a lower limb and set up him and left him swinging around while I put a top anchor in. By the time I was back on the ground he had got his technique. Grabbing a loop from under the knot and standing in it while pushing the knot up!! I then hooked him up on my line and he was off ! Taking a rope with him which he set on an anchor and sent back to me !

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396804251.540947.jpg.6bc6a93085dffd6521ee447c439e097f.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396804269.314677.jpg.faaf80792dd3f1624e298333b8001a3c.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396804294.298533.jpg.7c77f69d69861e4422dd4ad8551c18f7.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396804357.777744.jpg.96fd8fb6a323ff0c903a016bc6eacb80.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396804429.596056.jpg.af29da649e36ce0e4e75def74df26f2b.jpg

No pics at the top because I scrambled up after him without the camera. He even managed a small branch walk just under the main crown.

Anyway just thought I'd share a few pics just to show what a proud friend and coach I am and ask what your excuse is for not doing something you want to. More adventures to to follow.

Ps any comments on how he could climb easier or more efficient would be welcomed. I was thinking A foot ascender but his feet are size 3 wasn't sure if it would fit ?

Cheers Deeco.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396804377.751615.jpg.df9666cc6fc67aeec78409111716bfaf.jpg

One method I am familiar with for learners is using a prussik as a footloop.

1. Have a second prussik below the first

2. Put your foot in it and stand up.

3. While stood, ascend your main prussik as normal

4. Sit back onto the main prusik, take your foot out of the loop.

5. Grab the second footloop prussik and slide it up.

6. Repeat

Let me know if this is clear! Little bit slower but it works an absolute treat

The title is directed at people that don't make the most of life and all it's possibilities. my little bro makes me want to chase my dreams with a positive attitude. He has and continues to overcome something that a lot of people might not be able to and I'm proud of him for that.