US Champion White Oak: Making a plan

treeseer

Does the girdle play any vascular role Guy?

A candidate for removal to lessen the stress on the trunk and buttress in the west/north sector of the root crown?

Any knowledge from the present owner as to whether the conductor has taken any hits, is this why it's broken?

Any determination of internal decay at crown break?

I dryadeus can be found within this region and may be at work both at the ground and at height.

Any local entomologists ever carried out survey of the associated buggy species on and within it?

Fine historical tree, me likey :thumbup1:

Does the girdling root play any vascular role? hmm maybe not enough to warrant leaving the conflict; gotta look closer. It may be a candidate for removal to lessen the stress on the trunk and buttress in the west/north sector of the root crown, yes.

No knowledge from the present owner as to whether the conductor has taken any hits; the damage was over 7 years ago. It likely was broken by a 'karate chopped' leader that was overcabled ~20-30 years ago. :thumbdown:

Any determination of internal decay at crown break? If 'crown break' means where the scaffold limbs originate, yes I think I will find some, when I do finally climb it.

It'd be interesting to ask local entomologists what to look for in a survey of the associated buggy species on and within it. The U folks in Florida were helpful that way with Q virginiana, epiphytes too. I'd like to compare what's there with the Red List etc. That whole ecology thing is not so front and center over here, but it will grow if it is applied, I hope...:001_smile: