Am I being silly? New saw???

Pooh sticks

They churn them out by the thousands at the factory in china, and then distribute them around the world. The sit in a warehouse and are then are moved onto the dealers as when their own stock runs down.

Its a bit like an escalator, first one on, is the first one off at the other end. So if the main warehouse has 2000 saws on the shelf all made in 2013, then you will have to wait until all 2000 have been sold before the 2014 batches move on through the system.

However all you need to know is that the saw built in say August 2013, will be precisely the same as the saw built in Jan 2014. Its not like new model cars, where the next production run might tweak the colour of the floor mats or round off the corner of a bumper. :001_rolleyes:

So if you want a new saw now, buy a new saw mate. If it was manufactured 6 months ago, don't worry its not yoghurt, they don't have a limited shelf life... :lol:

Ok coll thanks mate, on the stihl website it said they have made a few changes to this years model but if you think that it's nonsense then I won't worry !

I hope the changes would be worth it, the 362 was a little disappointing next to a 361, the new 362c looks promising, a colleague bought one a month back not had the chance to use it in anger though to compare it to our 362.

It may have 2013 on it just make sure you get the new auto tune version 362c

We had a delivery from Stihl yesterday of MS261 C-M and these were the 1st saws this year dated 2014 despite already having had 80 or so delivered this year. It always takes until the end of February for saws to start to appear with 2014 dates and then its the most popular models first. I presume the sticker is changed in the factory on Jan 1 and then stock is sent out from Germany to this country in strict rotation first built, first sent. 2013 dated stock will continue to be supplied until it is exhausted . Date on sticker makes no difference if you get the model you want unless you want to sell it and have a really fussy buyer. You should always have a receipt to prove purchase date. As far as I am aware there have been no old model MS362 saws available ex Stihl since last autumn, they are all 362C-M, the model change was mid 2013 catalogue so in effect the 362C-M is a new model to this years catalogue

Ok coll thanks mate, on the stihl website it said they have made a few changes to this years model but if you think that it's nonsense then I won't worry !

Ahh, my apologies then sir, I had no idea that Stihl were planning to make a few tweaks to the 362.

Usually when they decide to change a saw, they release it as a new model, with a new number.

Like the old 361, which Stihl changed to adhere to new EU emission rules, which gave birth to the 362.

Shame really the 361 was a mighty fine saw, the 362.... mmmeh!

The 362 is a nice upgrade from a 261, if you want some extra power and/or to run a larger bar. But it might be OTT if you just want to ring up a bit of firewood, unless your regularly cutting through timber 12" or more.