grinding discs for carving/ finishing

rizo86

Thought id give chainsaw carving a go due to all the big timber ive had recently. been interested a long time and had a few goes so far, mushrooms and bits to get a feel. though watching endless clips and series on the subject i have started looking for grinding tools for a 4" grinder like these king ones i found. So i am asking swhere i might source these things in england and looking for any insiders info or tips. heres hoping your all feeling friendly, cheers. Ryan

the only thing you should use on a angle grinder is a sanding disc. anything else is just going to cost you skin/nerves/tendons and finger-articulation (trust me, i know from experience... 2 operations down, 1 left to go and i will never use the tip of my index finger again)

even using it for sanding is a risk but the damage is minimal.

as previous poster say, use a carving bar and practice and you will be able to do a better job and get better skills

keep carving and post pics, we all started somewhere

That's what gloves are for :D Only time I've injured myself with an angle grinder was using a wire cup brush and it put a pin prick in my cheek. I use fibre discs and backing pad a lot for finishing on metal, those chainsaw discs look like a good idea in theory but will probably kick back like a mule.

well thanks for all the replies chaps, useful info indeed. I notice i forgot to post the link to the tools i was taking about ( Power Carving Kits | King Arthur's Tools )

So a resounding dont do it then. Fair enough.

wisewood thats what my hand looks like today from slipping whilst sharpening my saw, you know its amazing we spend all day doing extremely dangerous things and my recent injury is pathetic: hand cut from sharpening, jarred knee slipping off the trailer, cut eyebrow walking into van door, bruised arse slipping on wet decking... glad there havent been any serious ones though, fingers crossed.

Devilish carving i would post a picture if i was happy with them but alas they are a little rough around the edges ill get to it .