treeseer

Where would YOU cut this branch?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where would YOU cut this branch?

• At the red line
    • At the blue lines
    • Blue lines, or farther out
    • It doesn't matter

In the US, 'heading cut' has 2 definitions. One is 'internodal' the other is 'to a lateral <1/3 the diameter of the parent.' Confusion is inevitable, but the 'heading cut' concept remains prominent in training materials. So if the objective is to reduce the branch to reduce its growth relative to other branches, maintaining long-term health and safety with minimal maintenance, many US arborists are trained to obey a '1/3 Rule', and make the cut at the red line.

In the UK, this term is not used. So if the objective is the same, where would UK arborists make the cuts?

Article Request Page is some research that seems to indicate that red cut might not be the best.

5976682ad9bc8_Reductiondiagramtoppingvs.heading.jpg.8b2c27d2275e639ab7d70db22adb63c4.jpg

Edited by treeseer

To "reduce growth relative to other branches", would need to see the whole tree and its situation, species and condition. BAsically take as little as necessary to achieve objectives. Red and blue seem likely to exceed (locally) the 30% rule-of-thumb. RobArb's approach seemsd more appropriate. You can always go back and take off more, but it's pretty difficult to put branches back on if you've overdone it.

I probably should have elaborated a bit more than what I did :biggrin:

My cuts were purely in the interests of the tree, I can hear however, after getting down the phrase "can you just......" :001_rolleyes:

Blue is doable, Red as mesterh states, would need the lateral reducing first and not the greatest for the tree.

We all know however, that in more cases than than not, the tree lives on. It just looks unsightly:lol:

Sent from my phablet