Other alternatives to total removal.

Jim Hepburn

Question

Hello, I’m after a bit of advice.

In my parents garden we have two good sized Oaks, not veteran but about 2.5m DBH. They are lovely trees but one of them had has had a good bracket 20" of Inonotus dryadeus for about 2 years. The obvious option is to take it down as its never going to get better but is beyond my realm with the kit i have and have booked in a local company to do the work. However now it's going to be taken down I’m wondering if there is anything else to do as i will be really sad to see it go.

If it is left and decided to fall by its self it will take out the garages and workshop, but how long may that be? I know there isn’t a real answer but the crown still looked good last year and wasn’t showing any signs of the root system being under attack.

Would it survive if it was taken back to the first limbs from the bowl?

Will it spread to the other oaks?

Although infection has only shown in the last 2 years does it still have many years left?

If we realise what it is and dont take it down completely will the insurance not pay out should there be any future danage form the tree?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

9 answers to this question

Try to get an advanced tree survey to see the extent of the decay i.e PICUS :thumbup1:. From that you can decide if its severe then remove it or if the tree has compartmentalised it then you can probably do a crown reduction to limit any risk to the surrounding buildings :)

this should give your more information on the decay and health of the tree at the infected point. This will cost a bit but can save you 100's in removing it :001_smile:

Just a thought :001_smile:

To echo what I said via pm-

I dryadeus on our native oak is generally no big deal, very rarely a cause for felling. In this situation a half day price for a survey and report from a suitably insured local surveyor would...

1. defer liability in the event of tree failure

2. quite possibly recommend no/minimal work to the tree = cheaper than felling, along with other benefits such as habitat retention/amenity value etc from a tree the size of which could not be replaced in our lifetimes.

3. not include picus or other advanced decay detection; although this is very unlikely to be needed. A simple nylon mallet and an experienced ear would do!

Maybe someone from your neck of the woods on this forum could recommend a surveyor or help you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

:thumbup::thumbup:

To echo what I said via pm-

I dryadeus on our native oak is generally no big deal, very rarely a cause for felling. In this situation a half day price for a survey and report from a suitably insured local surveyor would...

1. defer liability in the event of tree failure

2. quite possibly recommend no/minimal work to the tree = cheaper than felling, along with other benefits such as habitat retention/amenity value etc from a tree the size of which could not be replaced in our lifetimes.

3. not include picus or other advanced decay detection; although this is very unlikely to be needed. A simple nylon mallet and an experienced ear would do!

Maybe someone from your neck of the woods on this forum could recommend a surveyor or help you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Spot on :001_smile:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: