Norway Spruce, with branch knuckles, in the Highlands?

wildfisherman

I posted back in September, looking for Norway Spruce to rebuild the porch on an old house near Inverness.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/62659-where-find-norway-spruce-restoration-project.html

What I need is Norway Spruce, preferably growing with a bit of space around it, so there are live branches that can be cut off to leave a few inches of knuckle. It's a traditional look to old porches around here. I'll attach some photos.

I need five or six logs, about 9' and 8" to 10" in diameter. If anyone can help I can easily come and get them.

I would be really grateful for any ideas on this. I did go down and pick up some logs Mike Dempsey had sourced, but in the end they didn't prove suitable. I've tried a lot of different leads around here and have drawn a complete blank.

IMG_3568.jpg.4145169151b725cd5668946494acc4fe.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg.bd57cce638bd93eb30aa52208625991c.jpg

I have a friend who does traditional tamber framing and a tip i have got from him is the trunks should be used upside down so that the rain water runs off the knobbles as if they are used the way up that it grows the rain water runs in towards the trunk and will eventually start to penetrate the trunk along the line that the branch has grown out. so if you look at your photos they are the wrong way up.

There quite nice, do u treat the stems after peeling? Or just dry then paint

I don't know for sure. I just know they need replacing. I'd be happy for any advice on this.

I was planning to get them in place, then leave them for a good while, like maybe a year, then primer and a couple of coats of paint. If someone knows of something better I'd be interested to hear.

I have a friend who does traditional tamber framing and a tip i have got from him is the trunks should be used upside down so that the rain water runs off the knobbles as if they are used the way up that it grows the rain water runs in towards the trunk and will eventually start to penetrate the trunk along the line that the branch has grown out. so if you look at your photos they are the wrong way up.

That's an interesting thought, but I can't help feeling it would look kinda weird. The present ones are not particularly bad at those points; they've got some splits where rot is starting to get in, they've got woodworm and I think they must have been rotting around the bottom. The previous owner of the house had just cut out the bottom three feet of each trunk and stuck in a section of larch, or something.

They're a mess!

Must admit i never think paint and timber is a very good thing, doesn't let the timber breathe, treating with something may be better althou not fit into the rest of the porch.

Possibly u could get them treated at a small estate/private sawmill and get them pressure treated with there posts. A few of the local sawmills would all do custom treatment like that if fits in there tanks. U could then paint them after wards

Makes sense wot u say about having them upside down althou it may look funny on ur eye until u got used to them