Advice - Which Processor should I buy ?

matthew65

Hi,

I am looking into upgrading my firewood set up. I currently have a Jappa 700.

I want to buy a processor that has a circular saw and was looking to spend between £15,000 - £20,000.

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks

Matthew

Hi Mathew yes sounds like posch or palax both do circular saws I prefer the palax because the splitter ram is 16/18 tons where as the posch 350 or 360

is only 12 tons thats alright on easy going but if you want to split 8 or 12 ways the posh will get stuck on reall notty beech or oak presumably that is why they only go 2 4 6 or 8 waysplitters.Saw a demo at the apf and the posh got stuck with 6 way notty piece of oak .The palax is much heavier and I would say stronger but I am biased as I have had them from 1995 and see no reason to change.Cheers Chris.

Dont forget you will want a half decent size tractor to pick up a Palax 900 assuming you want it on a 3 point hitch. The 700 and the Posch are quite a bit lighter.

To get the best out of these big machines you will need an hydraulic feed rack.

I am in a similar situation to you also with a 700 and a manual rack. I have been thinking that maybe i could get away with it or with a single hyd rotor bolted to the feed trough when I upgrade, I also have a Japa manual rack at present.

A

I was tempted with the pallax because it can take bigger timber but I don't like the splitting blade on them I prefer the sealed blade on the posch.

Hi The 900 has 3point linkage but the 100 is stand alone if you are moveing up to these size

machines with a large hydraulic log deck why would you want to keep moving it,mine has not moved for 2 years.Re the splitta on the 100 it is simple and quick to change the axes and none of them have bent an inch.I agree the 90 g with the cassete spitta looks a bit time consuming, but fine if you have regular diameter timber.These machines are intended for constant use not a weekend ocaisionasl user.Cheers Chris.

Hi The 900 has 3point linkage but the 100 is stand alone if you are moveing up to these size

machines with a large hydraulic log deck why would you want to keep moving it,mine has not moved for 2 years.Re the splitta on the 100 it is simple and quick to change the axes and none of them have bent an inch.I agree the 90 g with the cassete spitta looks a bit time consuming, but fine if you have regular diameter timber.These machines are intended for constant use not a weekend ocaisionasl user.Cheers Chris.

I've been using the posch 3200 for the last 5 years it's rated 12" cut but you can squeeze a little bigger through, for timber above that I have the 2.5m horizontal and a couple of 19t verticals works fine for what I do 4-500 tons a year, Pallax is what everyone else around here uses as Jim watt is only 15 miles down the road and the pallax with 17" cut is cheaper than my 3200 I just didn't think it was as well built although it certainly can cut alot gatehouse nursery say they are doing 1500 tons a year with theirs.

I moved mine around the yard quite alot because I was filling log cubes to season in but now we just fill vented bags it is pretty much permanently positioned and the 4m log deck after working with that I wouldn't dream of buying a machine for hand feeding.

Edited by Logsnstuff