A warrenty discussion

MrNick

I've been doing a bit of negotiating with a local dealer for a new saw . His price is near enough internet for me to buy from him. He then told me that if I bought online the dealer has a policy of charging £20.00+ vat as an admin fee for any machine (not supplied by them) needing warrenty work. Is this sort of policy familier to anyone else? His excuse being prices are cut to the bone etc etc. I also got the impression that they would favour self supplied machines repairs over others.Anyone else come across this kind of thing ?

I've been doing a bit of negotiating with a local dealer for a new saw . His price is near enough internet for me to buy from him. He then told me that if I bought online the dealer has a policy of charging £20.00+ vat as an admin fee for any machine (not supplied by them) needing warrenty work. Is this sort of policy familier to anyone else? His excuse being prices are cut to the bone etc etc. I also got the impression that they would favour self supplied machines repairs over others.Anyone else come across this kind of thing ?

No clue about the £20 charge....as for them favouring self supplied machines for repairs, thats fair enough IMO

While I believe in the "free market" economy, and indeed, use tinernet and the phone to get a deal for my house stuff - if I can get it at a manageable price locally, I will do. Support your local suppliers and they will be there to support you locally in your time of need.

If everyone got their purchases from an online warehouse then the local suppliers will dwindle in number to the point where you will have to drive miles to their premises and they won't have it in stock when you beed it.

Most suppliers will have a booking system for service and warranty work, based on a queuing system. Take your tool in and it will join a queue - be it 2 days or 2 weeks, if you are a loyal customer then I would warrant that they will try to prioritize the job to help you out. If they only get your business when you are desperate but there is no loyalty, where is their insentive when they do have more loyal and regular people.

How would feel if you regularly see a competitor beat you to a job, only to have that customer ask you as the other chap cannot fit them in.

Quite often, the income from warranty is a lot less than the income from routine workshop rates therefore the warehouse can sell it cheap because he hasn't got to work for less when it goes wrong! Plus no one grumbles at him about waiting times nor does he have to do paperwork or worry about claims heing thrown back!

Edited by PeteB

What's the story with Husqvarna warranty? I have heard that the warranty is with the point of sale which should encourage more people to support their local dealer rather than have to deal with a warehouse at the other end of the country when something goes wrong.

I have been pricing up a new saw and my local dealer, who I am keen to support and who has a good reputation when it comes to servicing and technical help, can't get near the on-line prices because he doesn't buy in bulk and get the highest discount from Husqvarna.

I was wondering what he would say if I rolled up with an F R Jones saw with a warranty issue?

I dont understand the mentality of the dealers, warranty work is paying work so what is the difference. Car dealers dont have issues carrying out warranty work on vehicles they have not supplied so why should tool and equipment suppliers.

Bob