Whats the best excuse youve been given for taking a sicky

arniecardigan

As the title might indicate I have had a worker recently give me what I would consider to be a poor/lame excuse for not coming into work!

He had been splitting wood for me for a few hours and text me at 22:00hrs to tell me that he wouldn't be in work the following morning as he had hurt his finger!! He said I had stepped on it and it was now abit swollen and the nail was black!!

He didnt tell me to get the "F"off it when I stood on it which I found strange as I'm a good 19stone!!!

So he was not coming to work because he had a hurty finger!!!!

He's only 18 and had emailed me a few months back as he really really wants to be a tree surgeon or forester!!

Now call me old fashioned but when I was 18 I'd of gone to work with my arm falling off!!

However I think his was just an excuse as I was on my way home from my other job at shortly after midnight and saw him walking out of town with a can held firmly in his hand with his hurty finger! He saw me and decided to dissapear into a bush and hide!!

Again when I was 18 I would have gone to work with my arm falling off and a hangover from hell!!

Is it just me or are the youth of today all namby pamby lightweight girly toss potts!!??

Oh and I'm now looking for a new trainee/labourer!:thumbup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's your own fault, you should have carried him around on your back all day feeding him sugary sweets and drinks.......he might not of pulled a flanker if you'd treated him right.

Is that where I'm going wrong??

I just thought it was the youth of today!!

I've not found anyone really worth paying in the last few years.....every time I looked up they'd be stood doing nothing just staring at me working!!! It got abit annoying!!:thumbup:

Edited by Paul Barton
inappropriate comment

Was the incident recorded in the accident book?

Does it become a notifiable accident if he is off work for 3 days or more?

It'll be off to prison for you - Slavedriver!

None of my guys have ever had a sickie - they call me 'The Baskard' (I think that's what they said anyway)

Was the incident recorded in the accident book?

Does it become a notifiable accident if he is off work for 3 days or more?

It'll be off to prison for you - Slavedriver!

None of my guys have ever had a sickie - they call me 'The Baskard' (I think that's what they said anyway)

3 days? Its 7 days now, and I think it's as the result of the accident.....

Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker

Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

......Not seven days 'cause you couldn't be arsed.

It's OK Mr Cardigan,sir - you can come back out of the cell now.