All too late?

armybloke

Im pretty sure those ideas have come from a book I'm reading called "feral" by George monbiot and it's giving this argument to re wilding Britain... I quite like the idea tbh.

Read an article by Monbiot, says the ground around trees absorbs up to 67 times the amount of water that grassland will. Was a very interesting read, guardian online

Very interesting to notice the contrasting reactions to this same story on the British Farming Forum.

I suppose the completely differing views of a common problem maybe help to explain the mess and sadly maybe also why it's only destined to get worse!

Uplands are problem across whole of europe

Problem is lamb is unpopular meat ....

So upland sheep farming is very marginal

In wales grants to farmers spprox £350m

Farms profits approx £190m

So in reality welsh farming loses approx £160m a year and is grant dependent

But

Public liketheir uplands as they are ........ So thats political problem

Looking atthis forum there is obviously increasing demand for firewood as raw material prices are increasing, and big boys are moving in.....

So I'd guess grants for planting woods in less favoured areas will increase in next few years

Also RSPB and walkers will generally approve too....

Easy out for politicians ......

We are reaping the rewards for our greed. Drainage in our greed for more 'productive' land; canalisation of meanders all in a vain attempt to move water off quickly so we end up with bottlenecks of flood water in times of plenty and dry aquifers in times of need.

We need to look forward by looking back.

Uplands are problem across whole of europe

Problem is lamb is unpopular meat ....

So upland sheep farming is very marginal

In wales grants to farmers spprox £350m

Farms profits approx £190m

So in reality welsh farming loses approx £160m a year and is grant dependent

But

Public liketheir uplands as they are ........ So thats political problem

Looking atthis forum there is obviously increasing demand for firewood as raw material prices are increasing, and big boys are moving in.....

So I'd guess grants for planting woods in less favoured areas will increase in next few years

Also RSPB and walkers will generally approve too....

Easy out for politicians ......

Just as as aside ... Welsh lamb is my fave ! :001_smile:

most of the flooding problems are a lot simpler to explain than the above,

1. for years EPA employed folk for waterway management, IE clearing out watercourses and managing the river systems, suddenly this was considered not envioromently frendly

2. money grabing local authourites decided it was good to build on flood plains

3. add unmannaged watercourses silting up and no flood pain to carry the overspill and what do you get?......large areas of built up area feet deep in water.

there's a good reason the old timers built on hills and elevated land, water doesnt flow up hill. anyone who buys a property on some area that is obviously low lying or right on the bank of a river" cos the views nice" deserve everything they get. comes back to the old phrase" not got the sense they were born with" R.I.P. common sense in the UK