Holly

kev7937

Anyone burnt much of it ?

I kept a load from a job because the poem said it could be burnt green so I assumed it would dry nicely (yes I know the poems poo) and two years later still at 30%.

Its unsplit and I don't have the best area for drying wind wise but other stuff seems to dry ok (not beech though)

It does burn ok btw I just dont want to clog the flue up.

Did find one split bit it was mid 20's so still not great .

I just think that suburbia isn't great for drying wood, I need somewhere airier, my yew and robinia, similar sized unsplit logs of the same age are in the mid teens now so I need to get more picky about what I take.

I just think that suburbia isn't great for drying wood, I need somewhere airier,

I think you're spot on there. I managed to keep shtum about a whole stack in a relative's very large garden that had come from that garden. It got no sun at all but the wind whistled straight through it off a large flat field. I couldn't believe how dry it got in just the 9 months or so I got away without moving it.

I find holly burns great green, never checked the moisture content myself, I assumed it would be lower than 30%.. Also I find Robinia takes years to dry properly.

How experiences differ. I split some robinia last May and have never got round to getting the heap off the ground. Everything on the outside is fit to burn and the rest is at least halfway dried.

Re green holly; someone suggested to me only today that a lump of green holly in the round was the original Yule log, left to burn for ages despite its greenness. Anyone know anything about this?

Hi all well i keep trying different ways of drying wood. I get it all cut up in the summer and have built store after store i need about 8 to 10 tonnes through the winter. I am trying to dry it quicker during the summer. All my storage is at least 300mm off the ground on flagged areas if poss as in the winter the ground moisture goes up. If you can get it in the sun even better I do find though that if it is on a larger paved or stoned area the heat generated on warm days circulates though drying it much faster. Black painted steel backs or tin sheets facing the sun is great to. I am trying to dry stuff using natural air flow and convection role on summer.

How experiences differ. I split some robinia last May and have never got round to getting the heap off the ground. Everything on the outside is fit to burn and the rest is at least halfway dried.

Re green holly; someone suggested to me only today that a lump of green holly in the round was the original Yule log, left to burn for ages despite its greenness. Anyone know anything about this?

not sure that's true, i watched that tudor farm thing and when it came to christmas they pointed out that the holly tree had a mythical property to it so they only took the leaves (hence the holly inside at christmas) but they never felled the tree as they believed the tree would be hurt and the spirit angered.

when they did the victorian farm they did have a yule log but i think it was oak or ash. big bugger though about 18"X30" i think...

no wonder it took ages to burn.