Green ash

oakland firewood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Split it and take a moister reading bud.

Start of december i took down a 60", 40 " was straight so took it home. Max reading i got was 26%.

Ive been burning it now since spilt and stack at 21% not a problem.

Itll also depend what time of year.

During last year mini heat wave you could wait a week and it was ready

How long would it take (roughly) for green ash to season enough to sell?

Thanks

It depends what you are selling it as. It isnt seasoned until next winter, so dont be a cowboy!

This cut last month now seasoned bol**cks only disappoints the end user.

Those that think you can season wood in one month over winter need to try burning some genuinely dry seasoned firewood and see the difference.

And as a word of warning, selling unseasoned wood as seasoned may leave you liable to legal action, if the end user where to experience a chimney fire from using such wood.

Too many variables to answer the question. How long are the logs? How small are they split? How are they stacked - in sun, in wind, how well covered. What MC was it on cutting.

I was drying sycamore to 20% in 6 weeks when it was hot in July. That is fully seasoned. But Oak I cut this month I don't expect to be fully seasoned in under a year.

Get a decent moisture meter and start drying to see. Ash needs to be sub-20% the same as any other wood.

It depends what you are selling it as. It isnt seasoned until next winter, so dont be a cowboy!

This cut last month now seasoned bol**cks only disappoints the end user.

Those that think you can season wood in one month over winter need to try burning some genuinely dry seasoned firewood and see the difference.

And as a word of warning, selling unseasoned wood as seasoned may leave you liable to legal action, if the end user where to experience a chimney fire from using such wood.

This is for my own use, and im no cowboy.

Also where does it say you have to leave wood for a year plus before its seasoned?? If its under 20% its seasoned!

I felled some ash 18" in june, split it and stacked it under cover in a windy location. Moisture metre last week registered 24% on the outside BUT split again its 35% + in the centre.

So the argument that its fine to sell after a few weeks in winter is quite absurd and if anyone is using green timber on their own appliance then taring will be occurring and if that person works in the firewood trade thats quite disturbing.:thumbdown:

I felled some ash 18" in june, split it and stacked it under cover in a windy location. Moisture metre last week registered 24% on the outside BUT split again its 35% + in the centre.

So the argument that its fine to sell after a few weeks in winter is quite absurd and if anyone is using green timber on their own appliance then taring will be occurring and if that person works in the firewood trade thats quite disturbing.:thumbdown:

Here we go again :001_rolleyes:

Are you going to disappear again as soon as anyone asks you about your setup ?:sneaky2:

P.S. Summer felled will be much wetter than felled now.