Modifying a ms201t

Tucky

Hey guys

Due to the company I work for employing the 'Peter principle ' of management, dispite my repeated requests for another brand my shiny new climbing saw is the (in) famous ms201. So since I'm stuck with this marvel of modern engineering I've been looking into how to improve it.

The best guide I've found is an American site which suggests drilling the exhaust, removing a limiter rod from the carb and then filling the key to advance the timing a few degree's. Now the increases look very impressive particularly the throttle response but I've also noticed many American loggers seem to mod their work saws more than we do over here.

So basically I'm asking what people have done to theirs to give a good solid work saw that will last more than ten mins.

Cheers Tucky

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys

Due to the company I work for employing the 'Peter principle ' of management, dispite my repeated requests for another brand my shiny new climbing saw is the (in) famous ms201. So since I'm stuck with this marvel of modern engineering I've been looking into how to improve it.

The best guide I've found is an American site which suggests drilling the exhaust, removing a limiter rod from the carb and then filling the key to advance the timing a few degree's. Now the increases look very impressive particularly the throttle response but I've also noticed many American loggers seem to mod their work saws more than we do over here.

So basically I'm asking what people have done to theirs to give a good solid work saw that will last more than ten mins.

Cheers Tucky

Think you seem to have covered all I have heard/read about in in your question . I know some of the guys on hear have done the hole drilling . search the other threads ....

I did try search stubby but my iPhone doesn't like the search function( keeps losing the keypad) thanks tho it's good to know I'm on the right track,

treequip as stubby correctly guessed if it was my money it would have gone elsewhere, I'm gonna square any mods with my line manager first but tbh it's shockingly useless as it is ( had a 200t before until some scum relieved us of it)

Tucky

I did try search stubby but my iPhone doesn't like the search function( keeps losing the keypad) thanks tho it's good to know I'm on the right track,

treequip as stubby correctly guessed if it was my money it would have gone elsewhere, I'm gonna square any mods with my line manager first but tbh it's shockingly useless as it is ( had a 200t before until some scum relieved us of it)

Tucky

Just trying to steer you right, if the saw is in warranty tinkering will invalidate that.

I have worked with quite a few 201's and I have only found one that didn't run well and I cured that in a couple of minutes.

I've had 3 200t's great saws assigned to history, I then got a 201 and to be honest I do not get what all the negativity is with the saw it was fine and up to the task in stock form.

Mine was sluggish to start with but after a run in and a tweak was nice and responsive in a different way to a 200 and once in the cut a match for a 200 as long as you didn't force it.

I now have a t540 and like that to, if I'm honest and had to replace again I'd get another 540 but in my opinion it is not head and shoulders above a 201.

As for tinkering I'd wait until warrenty is up, Stihl warrenty is good from a proper dealer and worth keeping, when the year is up mod away.

• 4 months later...

I read about drilling the exhaust, remove the limiter on the Carb H screw and advancing the timing of the saw on this site last night. I am gonna give it all a go!

My exhaust is definitely different to the pics I have seen online! Is there different exhausts in Europe to USA models? Mine looks smaller! And are the carbs the same?

The 201t in the video looks to pick up way quicker then mine, and the guy claims something like a 40% power increase after the few simple mods he talks about!

Has anyone done these mods? And got any results to share? Spudulike??