how thin do you go

haljam

Got a job coming up, six 25 yr old black poplar hybrids that are quite tall and leggy. they are close to an office building and upper branches are banging on the windows and over the roof. They seem to have co-dominant limbs from about 6m high. These fork again at about 8m high then shoot up tall and thin, This is the natural growth of these trees. Not been polarded in the past. Just been planted close together and are fighting for light. Plan is to take most of the side branches off 1 or 2 of these limbs on each tree. It will still leave a reasonably balanced tree, and the client is happy to accept a maintenance overhead from the re-growth that should occur. Problem is where to put main belay to work from. I Only feel comfortable with an anchor point at the 8m high crotch. above that I am worried about weak unions and trunks above here are 4" thick or less, but still another 8m long. I need to work from higher up to avoid dropping branches against the building or onto the roof. Ideally want to hand cut them and fast line down to one side. No other mature trees in the area to rope off or winch the leaning branches over. its basically just a sea of tall thin whippy trunks. I am thinking of using 11mm dynamic rock climbing rope to the 8m mark, then spike-ing up above that (still attached to slack on the dynamic rope) with the normal climbing rope cinched round the stem and tie off with a sling when i get gripped. I will call in and take some pics next time I'm passing. I want to avoid me and any rigging ropes being on the same limb, and ensure bits i cut off are light enough not to shock-load the rigging. Any tricks for working on thin branches when the only decent belay is below you.? thanks in advance. Who is first to say MEWP?

I was gunna say mwep whilst reading it. Be a lot faster and safer to complete the job.

Other wise place a block where you feel is right and then have a redirect pully where ever is best to rig the limbs away from the building.

Or if there touching the roof etc, sit on the roof still roped in etc cut and chuck

I say MEWP personally that way you have full control over the whole job. :)

Or you can use a speedline to the back of your truck ;) that way you send the branches away from any risk and straight to the chipper? :)

Hard to judge with not actually being there.

Edited by A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

Impossible to say without seeing it but if you have already ascertained that you aren't comfortable with a decent anchor point allowing you to reach what you want to cut then you need a MEWP IMO. Otherwise you are going to struggle/over-reach/bodge with poles/get Elvis-leg/leave a shoddy job. Someone will probably say that it is safe to tie in to 1" pop and that will be the answer to your question - if you aren't happy with your anchor point (and you know the job/your ability/comfort zone better than anyone on the internet) then you will probably not end up happy with the outcome. Get a MEWP and add it to your bill I'd say.