A quick Hello from Croatia

Stompy

Hi there

As I have been 'lurking' around here for a wee while soaking up all the sound advice and info I thought I best introduce myself and my 'clan' Not sure if this is the right forum so I apologise if I mess up the place1

My name is Tom and I escaped the UK and moved to Croatia just under a year ago with my partner (now pregnant wife ) Eve, my 2 slightly special rescue dogs ( Sam and Monty ) and a grumpy cat called Bryan.......

We purchased a small farm with a house, several barns, pig sty's (sp!! ), an old cottage and 45 acres of land and woodland with the aim of taking a step back and trying to live for ourselves a little and less for our jobs. I'm a furniture maker and bespoke joiner by trade and shipped my whole workshop of machines over here a few months ago. My lovely wife Eve owned a traditional pub in the UK ( our home for many years ) and is now turning her talented hands to the hospitality side of things out here.

I have always wanted to get produce my own timber and am slowly working my way towards getting a big bandsaw mill. Timber production is big industry over here and second hand industrial horizontal bandmills can be had for a good price.

At present I have a Husky 357xp for work in the forest and a Stihl Contra Lightening that I picked up here for milling.

It has been the most incredible first year here and quite a learning curve as you may imagine. The welcome we have received and the kindness of the locals has been very humbling and in a very short space of time we felt that this 'new' home was going to be just perfect for us.

Anyway I can go off on one so...... sorry.... I look forward to chatting with you all and sharing stories and skills from way over here

Cheers for now

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

As I have been 'lurking' around here for a wee while soaking up all the sound advice and info I thought I best introduce myself and my 'clan' Not sure if this is the right forum so I apologise if I mess up the place1

My name is Tom and I escaped the UK and moved to Croatia just under a year ago with my partner (now pregnant wife ) Eve, my 2 slightly special rescue dogs ( Sam and Monty ) and a grumpy cat called Bryan.......

We purchased a small farm with a house, several barns, pig sty's (sp!! ), an old cottage and 45 acres of land and woodland with the aim of taking a step back and trying to live for ourselves a little and less for our jobs. I'm a furniture maker and bespoke joiner by trade and shipped my whole workshop of machines over here a few months ago. My lovely wife Eve owned a traditional pub in the UK ( our home for many years ) and is now turning her talented hands to the hospitality side of things out here.

I have always wanted to get produce my own timber and am slowly working my way towards getting a big bandsaw mill. Timber production is big industry over here and second hand industrial horizontal bandmills can be had for a good price.

At present I have a Husky 357xp for work in the forest and a Stihl Contra Lightening that I picked up here for milling.

It has been the most incredible first year here and quite a learning curve as you may imagine. The welcome we have received and the kindness of the locals has been very humbling and in a very short space of time we felt that this 'new' home was going to be just perfect for us.

Anyway I can go off on one so...... sorry.... I look forward to chatting with you all and sharing stories and skills from way over here

Cheers for now

Welcome to the forum mate! You'll find loads of useful advice on this site. I bloody love Croatia as well!

I spent a few months in croatia,Hungary and Bosnia in about 1993 installing generators for the American army. Some of the locals were lovely some not so as you can imagine in those days :biggrin:. I still have the pictures of the bullet holes in the side of my 110 defender. I remember it was bitterly cold -20 the whole time I was there. A part of the world I should re visit.