Hilux 4x4 tipper project

monkenstien

Hi All,

First time posting as have just been too lazy setting up an account to log in. Finally did it! Thought id share my hilux tipper project inspired by T&C town and country that posted a hilux tipper they had made. Thought it was great so have been busy working away to build my own!

What I needed:

Needed a truck that could be used as my daily work horse

Needed toolboxes to carry gear

Needed something pretty small for tight access work

cheap!

Tipper

Decided to convert my hilux 3 litre diesel as already had the truck and has had new engine recently fitted.

Sourced the tipper kit from tipper kits Australia 1.5 ton load limit which is plenty for the hilux. This comes as a kit and took about a weekend to fit.

Tool boxes were custom made aluminium (too hard to weld one up myself tried and balled it up so paid a professional to make them up)

Canopy was welded up, sheeted painted by myself. Just finished painting so Havnt had a chance to load here up yet.

IMG_1305.jpg.755e984e63cb883d2f189cdedbadb6e9.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg.c879dbca3d5e0701511e06212c8562dd.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg.88a41f5b1979f7e59affcb1ca166b9e7.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg.6daabf4caee173403aa964c373e80a44.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg.b705efc7f5043dead9dee06b24544892.jpg

The trouble with most pickup tipper conversions is you can't fit a lot in to them unless your box sits above your roof line a fair bit. It's what put me off converting my old navara. I've seen big boxes like yours on the back of land rovers but rarely on anything else. your chip box is fairly huge but doesn't look ridiculous. Good work!

Hi All,

First time posting as have just been too lazy setting up an account to log in. Finally did it! Thought id share my hilux tipper project inspired by T&C town and country that posted a hilux tipper they had made. Thought it was great so have been busy working away to build my own!

What I needed:

Needed a truck that could be used as my daily work horse

Needed toolboxes to carry gear

Needed something pretty small for tight access work

cheap!

Tipper

Decided to convert my hilux 3 litre diesel as already had the truck and has had new engine recently fitted.

Sourced the tipper kit from tipper kits Australia 1.5 ton load limit which is plenty for the hilux. This comes as a kit and took about a weekend to fit.

Tool boxes were custom made aluminium (too hard to weld one up myself tried and balled it up so paid a professional to make them up)

Canopy was welded up, sheeted painted by myself. Just finished painting so Havnt had a chance to load here up yet.

HI MATE looks a good job that mate well done mate jon :thumbup:

That's look really tidy.

A friend is looking at converting his hillux to a tipper. Would the company you got yours from export the kits? Or do you have a link for them please.

I was thinking of asking him if he wanted to do this to his. After looking at yours I reckon it can be done.

Edit. Welcome to the forum.

Hi Mate the tipper kit was pretty pricey $2600 AU but the canopy was pretty cheap steel was about $480 (most expensive was the 1.6mm flat steel for the panels about $70 a sheet needed 4) paint $250. The custom tool boxes were $800 so also pretty pricey. Used the existing tray so this kept the price down a bit.

All up cost about $4000 australian could be done cheaper if you source a second hand tipper ram and made the tool boxes yourself as these made up most of the costs

Had a quick look on ebay, saw kits for £300 ish or less depending on what height you would want.

Then it would be a case of the body to build, that would be the big cost in metal. Suppose the sides could be wood.

I would have to build a custom box as it would need to have wheel arches to get over the big tyres.

But it's defiantly doable.

Hey Mate,

here is a link to the tipper kits company. They might export but the whole kit is about 120 kg. This includes everything though including the sub frame that bolts on to chassis. You can order just the hydraulics (ram, pump ect) to keep cost down 1500Kg Ute Kit DIY [CLICK], Tipper Kits Australia. I have seen the same kits sold on ebay new as well sold for a bit cheaper.

If you just made the frame out of steel and sheeted with plywood it would be alot cheaper and lighter. Most of the weight of the canopy was in the sheet steel.

The steel i used for the canopy frame was 2mm thick x 30mm x 30mm square tube and was pretty cheap. For the base I would use something like 75mm x 30mm x2mm.

If you can find an online steel supplier Online Steel Suppliers of Steel Angles, Steel Beams, Steel Tubing, Steel Pipe, Steel Channels, Steel Mesh and Galvanized Steel - Steel Solutions like this place they will cut all the pieces to length to the mm. This makes it a whole lot easier to weld up the frame as all the pieces are the correct length, just a matter or tack welding together checking and doing your final welds.

Good thing about plywood for the sides is once they start to rot out you can easily unscrew and replace.