tandem trailer towing laws ?? question help please

predator

i,ve been searching the internet vosa website etc and it seems a gray area for me

i have a fast tow log splitter ie i can tow it on a highway etc and was wondering can i as a private operator connect it to my plant trailer in tandem . As say i was splitting my own firewood for my own use on site then loading onto my trailer this then would give me no option to then put the log splitter onto my plant trailer as its already full no room for it etc can i tow it behind the trailer as i,ve read it so far its classed as a non load carrying vehical i,e an implment not a trailer providing i dont go over my GCW etc as i,ve been reading its ok for famers fair/showmans use and impliment use and would go to say a log splitter is an impliment please remember its not for hire/reward just my own use

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the quick replys i,am greatful but still confused as i,am not drawing another trailer i,am towing a logsplitter as in its not a load carrying trailer i,am more confused than ever as googling it brings up all manner of yes and no,s etc i dont want to sound flippant or trying to twist the law i just want to be legal on the road as i only travel upto 3 to 6 miles

thanks for the quick replys i,am greatful but still confused as i,am not drawing another trailer i,am towing a logsplitter as in its not a load carrying trailer i,am more confused than ever as googling it brings up all manner of yes and no,s etc i dont want to sound flippant or trying to twist the law i just want to be legal on the road as i only travel upto 3 to 6 miles

It is a tailer, its "trailed" behind your vehicle.

It matters not what you call your log splitter, in the eyes of the law its still a trailer.

I believe years ago it was permissible for farmers to pull two EMPTY trailers or one empty trailer and a piece of plant ie trailer and bale elevator ,; baler and bale sledge etc . I guess it would depend if you towing vehicle was "agricultural " taxed . On the continent the use of tandem trailer towing is common , often with one drawbar trailer and the second on a turntable . We're in the EU which some of us disagree with because we seem bound by others laws , but not on this occaision .