Maybe not milling today

Mike Dempsey

The plan was to mill up a couple of big windblown douglas fir today. I want to build a outdoor shack for air drying timber at the workshop instead of taking it home to air dry it. The Met office said it would be good weather but as usual they got it wrong. It has been blowing a gale all night and now it is a mixture of sleet and snow going horizontally. This is my last chance to do a full day's milling before Christmas as the schools break off for holidays tomorrow with a half day.:thumbdown:

I'm not happy at all.

At least my wife's new computer desk stands a better chance of being ready for Christmas day!

what are you Mike, a man or a mouse, the rain stops at the skin, your letting the side down here, us scotsmen are'nt supposed to be bothered by the bad weather....lol..says me who's been sitting in the workshop watching the bad weather thinking bugg** that, I'm not even getting the saw out, never mind thinking about milling anything, get a big fire on, plunk the kettle on, and put the feet up Mike, enjoy the break

Actually it got brighter today about 11oclock so I did go out milling. Still freezing though. Got some nice 2 1/4 inch planks about 9 feet long. Only four planks today but I did the top planks on another 2 logs as well. School finishes at 12 so I have about 3 hours of milling which should be more than enough time.

I was milling yesterday too. No rain or snow, but the wind is driving me nuts. My barn is orientated so that unfortunately when the wind blows hard from the south west, I get showered. It was so bad the other day that my truck got covered, and it was parked 50m away down wind with two fences in between!

Finished the job this morning with 15 minutes to spare. Didn't stop to brew up. Not as cold and windy today as it was yesterday so not too bad. I now have 10 decent slabs of 2 1/4 inch thickness. They are pretty dry as the tree has been down about 2 years. Think I will use some of it to rebuild my kiln and the rest for my outdoor woodshack. Need to go back and plank up some at 4 inches thick for the main posts. Sure beats buying it in from Jewson etc