200year old cedar in Dorset..

Rebel_Commando

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame, you'd hope the NT wouldn't have made such a decision lightly. Be interesting to know under what circumstances the extensive decay was found, and see a cross section of the stump. I know these reports should be read with a large dose of salt, but - an expert says only 5% live wood remaining? A second opinion wouldn't have gone amiss, when an historic 200 year old tree is irreplaceable...

"The National Trust said the 'landmark' tree had to be felled immediately after experts found there was only five per cent live wood left in trunk"

"........recently surviving the 'roughest storm in 30 years"

Mmmmm :001_rolleyes:

Certainly would be interesting to see a cross section

& a partial monolith being left for the long associated biodiversity would of been a good touch.

Everyone's always quick to point the finger at other peoples tree management. I don't imagine they took the decision lightly. Maybe they have jumped the gun a little, I wouldn't know as I haven't surveyed it. I would be interested to see their workings though. There's a great deal of difference between 5% live wood and 5% remaining residual wall. I've seen quite a few stories in the Mail and the Express that slag organisations off for felling trees, then all the arm-chair experts come out.

I was subbing to a crew in lymington and they told me it was on the local news that jo hedger of arbor venture, unless they miss read the landys sign writing, that was taking the cedar down maybe someone that knows her can get a photo or 2 of the decay if it was arbor venture.