Timber Lorry Load Dimentions and Payloads

hawthornheavyhorses

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically, an 8 wheeler will legally carry about 19T (give or take) and an artic around 27T - will vary a bit between diffrent set ups but that should be near enough for most calculations.

Can't help on volume other than the volume of a load that is up to weight will vary with size/species of timber and also the skill of the crane operator.

We always try to cut firewood at 3.75m for two bays on an 8 wheeler or 3 bays on an artic.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Hi All,

Can anyone advise on the cubic capacity of both artic and 8 wheel timber lorries. Also what are their payloads? About to start to market my cordwood and want to accurately work out how many loads I have.

Cheers

Matt

I don't know of any significant changes since I gave up 7 years back but then:

Flatbed artic, gross 44 tonne load 29tonne with total length of 16.5 metres (generally trailer bes is 40ft but 44ft possible)

8 wheeler max gross 32 tonnes and payload 18 tonnes 12.5 m overall maximum length and usually a 7.5 metre bed

Grapple loaders reduce the payload by more than 2 tonnes.

HI STEVE why worry i no what he mines and others arctic 26tons sorry do not no about 8 wheeler 20ton is it thanks jon :thumbup:

I wasnt taking the pi** ! .....it was meant as a compliment. Have always enjoyed reading how people playing with words, otherwise we'd all still be speaking like "art thou unto", and keeping everything incredibly formal.

but sorry to detract from the post subject matter......

Hi All,

Can anyone advise on the cubic capacity of both artic and 8 wheel timber lorries. Also what are their payloads? About to start to market my cordwood and want to accurately work out how many loads I have.

Cheers

Matt

It might pay to get a load collected by a timber haulier, most have on board weighers so you would be able to gauge volumes off that.

Bob

Thanks All!

Payloads are what I thought. I've had enquiries from customers for both tonnage and volume, so just trying to work out approximately what volume I can get on board.

My difficulty is working out the weights of the stacks that I have. I have about 60m3 out so far stacked in 3m lengths, roughly 60% oak, and 20% ash and 20% sycamore. With probably about another 40m3 to come out next week, so hopefully about 100m3 stacked. With air gaps (25%?) and then wet weight (0.7t/m3?) then it should be about 52t. Does that sound about right?

Cheers,

Matt