all down to A. mellea?

Dean O

Oak near some gardens in a patch of open space claimed by residents for parking and access to properties.

some mechanical damage perhaps the original cause of wounding - today pictured the fruiting bodies.

seems to have walled pretty well though having said that the tr ratio is certainly undermined.

the two wounds have coalesced to form a chunky cavity.

is this all down to HF?

cant see signs to tell me HF is just the secondary making the most of what at some point must have been exposed sapwood, no other fruiting bodies visible.

its an old row of trees so its loss would be a shame. the canopy is very healthy - but this might be its downfall.

IMG_20131130_124123.jpg.b83b8e6a5c2c9081cc42d2fc0fca637d.jpg

IMG_20131130_124211.jpg.422e98d323206e973e99137207fcae07.jpg

IMG_20131130_124233.jpg.e0152bcff2596f22d799b99a728da772.jpg

IMG_20131130_124252.jpg.b82c76bec7b31884d85b649effefa9c0.jpg

I would like to hope that whatever was present has been compartmentalised and left the building - but what's the chance?

I've proposed heavy reduction (to a 10m toppard) if retention is preferred or just plain old removal, under a quote for works rather than a tree condition report.

I've proposed heavy reduction (to a 10m toppard) if retention is preferred or just plain old removal, under a quote for works rather than a tree condition report.

Why not find out a little more before prescribing such a chop? Get the dirt off the stem and find the root collar, and you'll likely find signs of codit, and also get a better idea of the extent of decay.

The strength loss from decay cannot be assessed without considering response growth. That woundwood looks rock-solid and vigorous. :001_smile: 10-15% off the ends seems a more likely spec for this condition, but first inspect, or you're shooting blanks.

It would be lovely to save it - I never like to condemn a tree but with the coalescence of two quite large cavities which then extends up the stem plus the presence of so many targets....

its also compounded by the fact that the t/r ratio is more like 20-25%, so bellow the 30%, and I think with the presence of cavities like this maybe a t/r of 50% would be desirable.

I agree the tree is reacting very well all considered, and the crown is very healthy. its stood up to some very heavy winds recently.

I'm lucky I haven't been asked to report on it just quote for some works based on recommendations, but if it were to fail following a light reduction with the above info I think the prosecution would be very critical.

I don't think many consultants would be happy without having recommended a fell, if only to cover bums - which is a shame but likely true

The focus on defect and targets aside for a moment, have you considered a competent inspection before prescribing works? There's a lot of data just minutes away

Recommend felling to cover bums; that's a common myth here too. Truth is, that's no cover at all. In fact it's an admission that one knows not what one is doing.

Kinda like the driver of that brown trailer.

its a community council tree so a survey wont be sought in this instance due to cost.

I recommended that is was looked at by the local TO, who without knowing what I had prescribed suggested pretty much the same but preferred the idea of fell.

its a tricky situation / site as its council land, but it has been relatively well looked after by the residents so the targets of parked cars etc cant really be removed without causing upset and probable abandonment.

I did suggest giving the bell to the chap with the trailer but it wasn't taken as an option. :)

Cost of a survey? I don't understand. The cost of picking up a shovel and getting dirt off the stem is negligible. The local TO should understand this, and do it before calling for the chop. Prescription before inspection is malpractice.

I agree with Treeseer about malpractice. And a typical cost per tree for surveys (if part of a big survey) is about £2. £4 if you want me to bring a trowel.

That said the tree looks pretty humped. But if it's being felled to protect parked cars instead of telling the resident that they have no formal right to park there, it's another small nail in the coffin of civilisation.