What's this - on Fagus Sylvatica

TerryTibbs

My two guesses were degraded remnants of A. Mellea (long shot) or P.Squarrosa.

There were no rhizomorphs, though this isn't definitive and they are quite defined.

Sadly this is a fantastic tree, great benefit to the area, two doors up from a great Beech i took down that had Ganoderma. I'll put pictures from that up in todays job thread.

Thanks,

Chris

The gills are fully decurrent, (running right down the stipule or stem and petering out there) in the first picture. That pretty much rules out Pholiota and Armillaria mellea. Pleurotus comes to mind.

The gill attachment can't be seen in the rest of the pictures. Can't really tell anything except that they have gills, not pores, and some of the stems appear scaly.

There could be 2 species present.

Did you conclude that the fruiting bodies were physically attached to the tree?

The gills are fully decurrent, (running right down the stipule or stem and petering out there) in the first picture. That pretty much rules out Pholiota and Armillaria mellea. Pleurotus comes to mind.

The gill attachment can't be seen in the rest of the pictures. Can't really tell anything except that they have gills, not pores, and some of the stems appear scaly.

There could be 2 species present.

Did you conclude that the fruiting bodies were physically attached to the tree?

The fruiting bodies were definitely attached to the tree; re: other fruiting bodies present with Pleurotus being a secondary, i couldn't tell, the tree is covered with ivy!

Chris