A Stenner bandsaw, I take it

difflock

Have used the smaller Stenner 42.

For 2,5k its an absolute steal. Of course you need the barn with the relvently placed pits for the lower flywheel and drive motor. Then you'll need the extra channeling in the concrete for the 3 phase cabling.

You'll need all the pillars made too for the bed to sit on.

I was not worried as would probably attempt to power off a tractor PTO.

Not sure if I really want the hassle of digging a pit, concreting the pit and surrounding area, and then roofing over, in however rudimentary a fashion.

Though the space to do so is there.

But if I though it was otherwise complete, i.e only without the motor and blades.

Hmmm?

could be tempted

I nearly bought something similar (Danckaert iirc) many years ago, that had been used by the railway to cut sleepers.

but after looking at it for a while we decided there was just to much of it to haul back, and a lot of concrete and money to set it back up again, the electrics box to start/run the saw and control the system stood higher than me, and it was all a bit daunting.

Was a lovely piece of kit though, and build quality was something else.

I was not worried as would probably attempt to power off a tractor PTO.

Not sure if I really want the hassle of digging a pit, concreting the pit and surrounding area, and then roofing over, in however rudimentary a fashion.

Though the space to do so is there.

But if I though it was otherwise complete, i.e only without the motor and blades.

Hmmm?

could be tempted

I bought a 42", I was going to fit it onto a curtain sided arctic trailer, so no pit needed.

I had it in a barn for many years, I eventually sold it on:sad:

I will freely admit to knowing zilch about any kind of such racksaw/bandsaw/production saw etc.

I understand this to be a rack fed band saw.

but

(i) what sort of horsepower need to drive it, bearing in mind I recally some silly high horsepowers being quoted on another thread.

(ii)How expensive are blades likely to be, though assuming cost effective as an "industry standard" product.

(iii) I presume it will do the same job as an American bought portable horizontal bandsaw, except cutting in the vertical plane.

(iv) How can I establish its "completeness", since it is sitting in a pile.

(v) Perhaps this should have been first, but suitable for cutting shitty small Sitka, if a trifle over-specced for this task?

Anyone in the vicinity of the advertised saw know owt about it or its provenance?

PS

BigJ, better start putting a really fine point on your pricing pencil:lol:

I will freely admit to knowing zilch about any kind of such racksaw/bandsaw/production saw etc.

I understand this to be a rack fed band saw.

but

(i) what sort of horsepower need to drive it, bearing in mind I recally some silly high horsepowers being quoted on another thread.

(ii)How expensive are blades likely to be, though assuming cost effective as an "industry standard" product.

(iii) I presume it will do the same job as an American bought portable horizontal bandsaw, except cutting in the vertical plane.

(iv) How can I establish its "completeness", since it is sitting in a pile.

(v) Perhaps this should have been first, but suitable for cutting shitty small Sitka, if a trifle over-specced for this task?

Anyone in the vicinity of the advertised saw know owt about it or its provenance?

PS

BigJ, better start putting a really fine point on your pricing pencil:lol:

Hehe, Marcus, you drive a hard bargain!

I'll try to answer where possible, stating initially that a Stenner will nearly always cut better than any portable band mill. They are simply the Rolls Royce of bandmills.

You'll need an awful lot of power to drive a 5 1/2 inch band. I don't know what, but I'd assume at least 80hp. I'm 38hp on a 2 inch band, and more power wouldn't go amiss.

Bands cost a fortune for saws of that size. I seem to recall that the 4 inch bands for Autotrek saws were over £200 a pop.

It will do the same job as a mobile mill when static, but obviously you can never move it. It would also need a very large shed as the sliding carriage means the machine is over 40ft long with a 20ft cut. It is definitely OTT for Sitka.

You'd need to go and see another complete Stenner, or employ someone to set it up who has done it before.

It's certainly a very good deal and actually ideally suited for someone like me who sells a reasonable amount of hardwood and is mostly statically based. For yourself, it would be limiting and the £2.5k asking price is only the tip of the iceberg as getting something like that set up and running would cost much more.