Sawdust disposal - options?

Big J

I produce a lot of sawdust and need to find a solution which doesn't involve the farm taking it away and simply dumping it (all organic I suppose, but still a little wasteful).

I probably produce about 10 tonnes a year, all in. Biomass isn't likely due to high moisture content. Animal bedding wouldn't work as it's fairly fine (and wet) dust.

Any ideas? What do you other sawmills do?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sawdust from hardwoods lodges in the respiratory system of poultry and causes health problems.

Could it be used for spillages in some situations? I compost mine with green stuff grass couttings etc.

Would an allotment take it for mulch material? Its good for lowering soil PH for acid loving plants such as blueberries.

If just disposal is your priority then a decent sized stock farm wouldn't notice 10 tons mixed into the muck heap.

That is what I do now - it's just a bit wasteful I feel.

A few of my customers are adamant that I ought to be producing briquettes, but on my scale I think that it wouldn't pay.

That is what I do now - it's just a bit wasteful I feel.

A few of my customers are adamant that I ought to be producing briquettes, but on my scale I think that it wouldn't pay.

Back in the day we used to make briquettes by mixing the sawdust with a binder like wallpaper paste, it was a bit messy and time consuming but back then the ethos was waste not want not.

They did burn pretty good and cheaper than coal.

There is also another issue with the saw dust it will be contaminated with chain oil so it would not be any good for smoking (I would of thought).

I have started to bag mine up in dumpy bags to do something else with it but it is looking more likely that it is going to go on the chip heap.