what are these lil suckers - will they kill the tree- what do i need to evict them ??

DZPUPS

CAM02298.jpg

CAM02300.jpgCAM02301.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/dzpups/CAM02302.jpg

CAM02306.jpg

CAM02305.jpg

okay.. just noticed this on a back tree...agggh.. is it an epidemic ??? I saw sawdust around base of tree..about 6' to 8' up I find these lil holes I do not see any movement or dust coming out, but apparently this is where it is coming from... what is the bad news.. how do I evict these bad tenants..we are talking about one gorgeous tree - about 5 food around and about 60' tall..i don't want to lose my baby.. what should I do ????:001_huh:

Larvae exit holes from a Beetle infestation, simple answer to what extent the tree has been affected ??? Tap with a small hammer around the area of bark where the exit holes are , it should sound hollow , then extend the area you tap around the tree and listen for the different notes, sound wood is easy to differentiate from unsound wood which is subject to an infestation like that, and judging by the amount of sawdust on the floor that extensive. If it extends all around the trunk you have a problem. There are company's in the US who can inject trees and treat once the insect has been identified, but the other problem could be from what other things its carrying ie Vector carrying a Pathogen, good luck.

Larvae exit holes from a Beetle infestation, simple answer to what extent the tree has been affected ??? Tap with a small hammer around the area of bark where the exit holes are , it should sound hollow , then extend the area you tap around the tree and listen for the different notes, sound wood is easy to differentiate from unsound wood which is subject to an infestation like that, and judging by the amount of sawdust on the floor that extensive. If it extends all around the trunk you have a problem. There are company's in the US who can inject trees and treat once the insect has been identified, but the other problem could be from what other things its carrying ie Vector carrying a Pathogen, good luck.

Try and look up this http://www.intechopen.com/download/pdf/27799

Tree Injection as an alternative method of insecticide application.

Okay..Couldn't sleep another night knowing that the munching was going on..so made a simple malathion/termite 38+ solution.. grabbed a 12cc syringe with 18 gauge needle and sat yesterday all day injecting the lil holes in the bark..so a few hours later, these lil suckers starting falling out all over.. are they pine beetles ??? or ??? did I do wrong or hopefully helped... I did the hammer tap and it seems just the areas where holes are sound hollow to me about 6 inches out around the majority of the holes..

would love to know what kind of beetle larvae thing this is..

:blushing:

CAM02338-1-3.jpgCAM02338-1.jpgCAM02338-1-2.jpg

I am in spring hill about 2 1/2 hours from you north. I have lived on property 18 years, and it was huge when I got here.. so I want to say 40 plus years ??? do you know if this is a laurel oak..see photos above. these tree has a base of over 5 foot around.. it splits into two trees.. it is really big.. not the one in the top photos.. but the same type of tree.. what scares me ..is my home sits right in the middle of 15 of them.. ha, ha.. but it would be a shame to lose them..i would not be happy.. I love these trees..they are the reason I bought my property. All and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DZPUPS