problem with 281 xp

Mike Dempsey

Stripped the carb down on the husky 281xp today as is was starting sluggishly (not going to full revs when it catches) and would cut out and not idle . Carb wasn't too bad and I cleaned the fuel filter with the airline and also the air filter. Put it all back together. Starts a wee bit better but will still not idle and still cuts out immediately your finger is off the trigger. I did notice a little hissing noise when I connected up the fuel line to fuel filter but I don't know if this is part of the problem. Could the lack of idling be due to a small hole in the fuel line letting air in?:confused1:

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Got the new fuel pipe today. Its just a straight bit of rubber hose. The original one has 2 grommets as part of it. I am correct in thinking that this will not do, as the grommet parts are there for a reason - so it doesn't leak from the fuel tank. If I use the new one will this happen as I predict or will it be ok to use it.

Mike

The early 281 had a moulded grommet, the later ones have a plain pipe.

They are not interchangeable and you cant get a grommet to fit, you need to order the earlier style fuel pipe. I will have a look to see if i can find the pt no.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App