Whats the best bench mounted chain sharpener?

kentjames

Morning all :001_smile:

My better looking other half would like to purchase me a chain bench grinder for my birthday (love that lass :thumbup1: )

Whats a good model which won't break her bank balance?

Budget will be up to a maximum of £75-80 but less would be a bonus.

Looked at Portek Maxi on frjones and clarke on machine mart so far?

Any recommendations?

Cheers dears :thumbup:

I'd go with a Granberg precision grinder if you're the type who takes an unhealthy interest in how sharp you can get your chain.

Bench grinders are OK for doing a mullered chain, but how can one wheel fit a chain perfectly throughout it's life, let alone a dozen chains. It can't. With a file you would compensate, adjust as neccessary. The Granberg lets you do this AND get the teeth all the same size.

Perfectly in budget with a couple of packs extra stones too.

I'd go with a Granberg precision grinder if you're the type who takes an unhealthy interest in how sharp you can get your chain.

Bench grinders are OK for doing a mullered chain, but how can one wheel fit a chain perfectly throughout it's life, let alone a dozen chains. It can't. With a file you would compensate, adjust as neccessary. The Granberg lets you do this AND get the teeth all the same size.

Perfectly in budget with a couple of packs extra stones too.

Hi mate is that ones rob sale mate thanks Jon

Hi mate is that ones rob sale mate thanks Jon

Yeah that's the one. Really reveals which is your stronger sharpening hand when you put it on a previously hand sharpened chain that looked perfect :blushing:

Take it steady, no undue pressure on the stone, and I've got very good results. Hand filing is still quicker for little 12" 3/8p chains though.

Yeah that's the one. Really reveals which is your stronger sharpening hand when you put it on a previously hand sharpened chain that looked perfect :blushing:

Take it steady, no undue pressure on the stone, and I've got very good results. Hand filing is still quicker for little 12" 3/8p chains though.

Hi mate thanks for that Jon

Thanks for the suggestions so far, will go and look on Rob's site too - hadn't thought of that!

I know how to use a file and regularly do, this is for when they need a proper looking at (like one which met a piece of barbed wire in a conifer the other day), the question was not relating to how to use a file :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions so far, will go and look on Rob's site too - hadn't thought of that!

I know how to use a file and regularly do, this is for when they need a proper looking at (like one which met a piece of barbed wire in a conifer the other day), the question was not relating to how to use a file :lol:

Top tip- if it's that battered and you only have a file, use a flat file to quickly remove the damaged bit and put the correct top plate angle on it. Then bore into it with a round file to get the other angles right. This way is far quicker than using a round file alone, and you can put a lot more pressure on to remove the damaged section.

Much easier when clamped solidly in a vice rather than still on the bar.