so close to buying some woodland

likeitorlumpit

Its been a dream for years and finally I've seen a small (just over 1 acre) piece for sale- by auction aargh.

Has anyone here been through this. I'm wondering whether to offer to buy before the auction but not sure what is the best way to do this. I'm concerned the lot could go for much more than the guide price.

If I get it I'll be in heaven. Been there today and theres so many interesting fungi. It's been neglected so theres fallen deadwood over the whole site.

Is there anything I should be looking at before diving in.

Appreciate any input:001_smile:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IME it always goes for more than the guide price. Trying to buy a 15 acre plot myself at the moment so know how you feel. Out of interest what is the guide price? Good luck with it and hope it works for you. Things I would check are as above , covenants. Also sporting rights, check your buying them, mineral rights too and fencing liabilities.

Someone said to me once at an auction, if you want it, don't lose it over one bid, but don't get carried away. Small woodland plots are usually quite expensive compared to there bigger brothers.

If it isn't being sold by woodlands.co.uk then you are off to a very good start!

Keep in mind that it's worth as much as somebody else is prepared to pay for it, and then you'll be in with a good chance.

Is it a live auction? ...ie raise your hand/ scratch your nose/ do a YMCA?

I would probably put a toe in the water, by expressing interest and making a sensible off beforehand.

My experience of land auctions is that they tend to happen in slow time, though the couple of places we bid on had several lots and permutations of lots.

If yer not in ye canny win.

PS from my limited experience in the NI agric land market.

Whatever it gets bid up to before the auction, generally gets doubled before the fall of the hammer.

As a very rough NI guide.

Bought my chapel at auction, my advice would be do your research, then do some more, then even more! Read that legal pack at least twice and get someone else to read it for you aswell just in case you missed something. Check the land registry yourself, costs only a few quid online but suprising what it can show up. Dont be scared to offer a cheeky offer before the auction, might be removed from auction if they like your offer, but do this well in advance, eg not the day or two before! Have a solicitor ready and informed about your purchase before you go to the auction. Make sure you have the funds ready before the auction as compleation is usally within 28 days. If your planning to something that might need planning permission check with the council first so you can see how likely your plan is on getting approval.

I wish you luck! I'd check for public access to the wood, before I bought mine I looked at a lot and one of the biggest problems was public footpaths right through the middle. I felt kinda guilty rejecting them because of that (my grandfather was on the Kinder mass trespass) but it could make a huge difference to your enjoyment of the wood.

I'm in the process of buying the field next to our house. It ended up not going to auction but they did it by sealed bid, which is probably worse (if nothing else because I had to dig out the sealing wax!)

I'm doing the conveyancing myself, which is proving extremely straightforward. You still need a local authority search, and land registry details, which may be in the pack but if not are straightforward to get. The seller's solicitor has offered to draw up the deed of transfer (normally they just do the contract and you copy and paste it onto the deed) and I just need to complete the Inland Revenue form and the registration. Point being, knock £600 off for solicitor's fees and you can up the bid by the same amount...

Alec